ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#79900 02/03/02 11:26 PM
M
2002 NEC Article 230.82 EX. (2) Permits a meter disconnect switch to be connected on the supply side of the service disconnect. This has never been a practice in western Kentucky but I have read that it is normal in other parts of the country.
Is this for the safety of the utility for changing meters?
Does it always have to be on the supply of the meter or can it be located on the load side?
Can this switch have integral overcurrent Protection?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
Its a required practice in the western us, for services 300V phase to phase and greater. Its for the safety of the meterman, as pulling a 480 v meter under load can be very dangerous. This is a USEC requirement.Also any of our commerical meters have to have manual bypass sockets so the meter can be pulled for testing.

A meter is not required by NEC. Its the utility that wants it installed. I've been installing disconnects ahead of the meter for 20 years. Often I will use a non-fused disconnect.

M
Tom
Could this disconnect be located on the load side of the meter. Even though the meter would be energized there would be no current flow with the disconnect in the open position. Has anyone installed the disconnect with overcurrent protection?

N
MV,
Check out SquareD.com
Check out the combo residential panels. These are typical of a residential service here in southern california. The main breaker AFTER the meter is located on the customer "side" of the panel with distribution, but more easily accessible then in the basement. The local utilies here also require a "commercial by-pass" ahead and after the meter for meterman to safely work on the meter. This is accomplished by removable "nuts" that span the busbars.The meterman can also de-energize service this way, with out removing the meter.
You can also have Meter-Main panels with no distribution, with the OC being either breaker or fusible pull out, also with mandatory commercial by-pass. These are typical in 3R commercial applications, especially at 480v.
Hope this sheds some light.
NS4M

[This message has been edited by NoShorts4Me (edited 02-03-2002).]

N
Tom,
Did you say that you install service disconnects AHEAD of the meter? Are you talking about seperate from the meter socket or panel? ie. service drop, non-fusible disconect, meter, customer?
Maybe I misread your post.
NS4M

M
NoS..
I understand the type of panel you refered too. My point is by installing this equipment using section 230.82 (2), the conductors leaving this panel would be considered “service conductors” not feeder conductors.
If this equipment were installed on a pole remote form the building being served; how would this relate to section 230.7 Other Conductors in Raceway or Cable? Using 230.82 (2) theoretically the service conductors down the pole to the meter and (not service) disconnect could occupy the same conduit as the service conductors going back up the pole that could serve a building with the service equipment.

M
Could someone please post the link to the web site announcing the production of the Romex brand NM Cable in colors by size of conductor?
Thanks

MV,

Look here for the Colored NM Cable;
http://www.southwire.com/

Previous Discussion on it here was;
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000840.html

Bill

Bill
T
Yep for services over 300 volts phase to phase its switch-fuse-meter. The utility will often lock the disconnect with there lock. I typically use a non-fused disconnect.

The first commerical job I did 20 some years ago the utility had just adopted that meter disconenct standard, I read it and didn't really get it. Can't be a disconnect ahead of the meter...
So my installation was turned down and I had to install a disconnect ahead of the meter.

Link Copied to Clipboard