ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
what is the best wiring method for a horse barn? weatherproof everything?

how about the overhead service drop from the main load center on the pole to the barn? doesnt this have to be a quadraplex cable? (insulated neutral)..

what about grounding at the pole with no water line available? two ground rods? connected together or seperately?

thanks

frodo

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
Hi frodo

yes
yes
not sure what U mean there..?

obviously, you've gone thru 547..

As a horse dad add..crib-proof & tantrum-proof, double it for a pony.

F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
i installed a 200A Loadcenter on a pole. from the loadcenter off a 40A double pole using #4 quadraplex. they go through a 1 1/4 emt out a weather head over to a barn into a 125 loadcenter with a 40A main. i am bringing a quadraplex over for two reasons; 1) it brings my ground over from the pole. 2) i get an insulated neutral. i drove a single ground rod at the barn.

what do I need at the service for grounding? there is no water line. i figured i would drive two ground rods.

will this satisfy the code?

if i use two ground rods 6 feet apart, do the rods have to be tied together or have a seperate run of #6 from each rod?

i am planning on using emt and fs boxes to install switches and lighting in the barn. this is the best method i can think of.

thanks for all the input..

frodo

See Article 547 in the NEC.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-04-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
thanks for all the input, its good to have a plce to go to for friendly discussions and advice.

-regards

frodo

May I suggest PVC FS boxes and PVC rigid pipe (sched 80 where needed) rather than ferrous metal?

Corrosive environment, No?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
T
Frodo Wrote:
"i installed a 200A Loadcenter on a pole. from the loadcenter off a 40A double pole using #4 quadraplex. they go through a 1 1/4 emt out a weather head over to a barn into a 125 loadcenter with a 40A main. i am bringing a quadraplex over for two reasons; 1) it brings my ground over from the pole. 2) i get an insulated neutral. i drove a single ground rod at the barn.

what do I need at the service for grounding? there is no water line. i figured i would drive two ground rods.

will this satisfy the code?

if i use two ground rods 6 feet apart, do the rods have to be tied together or have a seperate run of #6 from each rod?

i am planning on using emt and fs boxes to install switches and lighting in the barn. this is the best method i can think of.

thanks for all the input.."

Frodo
Which edition of the NEC are you working with in your area? That effects the answers a lot. For 1996 you are fine so far, for 1999 you need two rods at each building. In either case you can run one Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) to the first ground rod through the acorn clamp and on to the acorn clamp of the second ground rod. If you are using solid state controlled equipment in any of these buildings then you may want to get a lot more fussy about the grounding then the code requires. If you have a drilled water well within reach of any of these buildings consider running a GEC to it.
--
Tom

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
my area recognizes the 1999 code. on a seperate building, detached garage etc., where no ground conductor has been run then two ground rods may be required but where a egc is run with the conductors do you still need two ground rods?

i always run a ground conductor from the service to the building or detached garage to keep from having to drive two rods.

i have passed a few inspections with only one ground rod at the detached garage or building as long as i have the ground run with the feeder.

thanks

frodo

F
frodo Offline OP
hi,
pvc is a consideration. is it cost effective vs emt?

-regards

frodo

I show 1/2" EMT @ $0.16 per foot and 1/2" PVC at $0.18, plus the fittings are a little more expensive and the PVC conduit requires 3.3 times as many straps, but in the long run, it will hold up to the test of time. EMT will eventually rust out in an agricutural environment.

Care must be taken to provide for temperature expansion and contraction of the PVC pipe, using "frosties" or other expansion type joints.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard