ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#79080 11/27/01 07:08 AM
K
ken m Offline OP
does anyone know where i can find any info on installation of recess lights in fiberglass ceilings of shower/tubs and related code requirements? thanks for any help. ken m

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
NEC 410-4 Lighting installed in and over tubs and showers must be suitable for wet locations.No cord connected, hanging or pendant within the 3ft horizontal and 8 ft vertical area above the tub. Most recess lighting fixtures have a shower trim or cover that when properly installed to manufacturers specifications meet the requirments for this location. Check with the manufacturer in all cases dont assume. In particular both Halo & Juno have 2 versions of shower trims (plastic and METAL) although both seem to permited I would advise going with the plastic version for both added safety and durability. Seems odd though, imagine someone showering..poof the lamp goes out..grab a towel..grab a bulb.. leave the switch on...... My other favorite is wall sconces over the tub area....Yah no intelligent person would or would they??

| )ubli| |
T
In my bathroom I just wired I installed a light over a hydromassage- tub- shower I put that light on the load side of the GFCI recpt for the bath, and the light is a Halo recessed can with the shower trim. (plastic lens and trim)

P
does this light need to be run thru a GFI circuit?

W
I have seen a lot of bathrooms that have the lights on the load side of the GFCI. I think it is a good idea. My questions for everyone are:
1. Does the NEC specify any particualr type of load that cannot be GFCI protected? (In residences.)
2. When in doubt isn't it safer to protect circuits with GFCIs?
3. What circuts, if any, do you protect with GFCIs in addition to those that are required to be?
Thanks in advance for comments.
Bob

D
well if they come off the recept they need to be #12 and the circuit cannot leave the
bath..

Link Copied to Clipboard