ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#79013 11/17/01 06:21 PM
Glenn,

Maybe I'll take a picture this week. Yes, there is a roof [Linked Image]
It was built on a deck. There is some type of pressboard flooring with styrofoam below that and a sheet-metal bottom. Outlets will be fed from underneath with UF through floor to wiremold boxes mounted on the posts between windows.

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#79014 11/17/01 06:46 PM
S
Of course we could be completely missing the fact that UL would like to mark everything from tennis balls to toenail clippers.

#79015 11/17/01 06:49 PM
S
One more minor point to add, UL employs 'listed' 'classified' and 'recognized' as three basics, and elaborates to diversities from each. Do you know the difference? Does the end user? Ask UL for a colorful reply worth framing.

#79016 11/20/01 11:19 PM
[Linked Image]
Here is the Screen Room in question. Apparently some of the channels may be used as a raceway according to the installer.

Bill

Bill
#79017 11/21/01 08:39 AM
G
Just an observation.

If the room is rain-tite when all windows and doors are closed and the brochures and advertizings in the flyers and newspapers mention " sunroom ", then wouldn't the NEC prevail.

[This message has been edited by Glenn (edited 11-21-2001).]

#79018 11/21/01 09:46 AM
Glenn,

I would say that it is raintite and may fit the description of a Sunroom, especially as it will also contain skylights. It is still undeniably an 'attached' structure in that it can be removed (most installations) at any time without compromising any part of the main house at all.

I started another Discussion on the wiring requirements at:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000347.html

Bill

Bill
#79019 11/28/01 12:11 AM
D
Bill Addiss We've got somewhat of an answer in fact it's already been partially answered. These sunroom/porch assemblys are indeed approved as raceways in most cases (be sure of the NEC code stamping or etching of the glass panels) sometimes the glass panels were marked because they were perminantly afixed to the adjacent channel and less obtrusive to see. At any rate I have seen some horrible miss use of this raceway for recepticle and switch placement. First of all it is indeed a nice way to be able to route wiring around the windows and door openings when no basement is present. the manufacturers of these components do have the appropriate boxes to cut into these raceways, but most companys installing these systems seem to have thrown away those pages when ordering a room for there customers. This results in some people with no outlets or lighting options (enclosed and accessable from the dwelling considered by our local authority as a habitable room...yah even in -40 degree weather), recepticles cut into the raceway without a box (nice), and my favorite the finished sunroom with handy boxes and emt painted to match the decor.

| )ubli| |
#79020 11/28/01 12:32 AM
Dublin,

As I understood from the Company that installed the room only some of the channels are approved as raceway. For instance the upright channel to the right of the door has a removable channel cover. That was the only one I think. I'm not sure if the bottom channel could be used as it also doubles as a draining system. They had some type of a metal cover (like a molding) that they said could be used to cover and protect surface mounted wiring. I didn't get a close look at it as everything was already wired from below.

Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard