ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#78768 10/23/01 12:04 AM
B
Big Red Offline OP
X10.com is a retailer of home automation devices that send a low voltage signal across your home's electrical infrastructure to turn on/off assigned lights, appliances, etc.. Anyone familar with problems, possible concerns, etc. with this type of product?

Thanks,

Red

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#78769 10/23/01 12:16 AM
T
Its a great product and can do a lot more than you realize. For $30 I got a software program that sets up a graphical interface, downloads to a wall module, a remote radio controller/IR controller-ti talks to a reciever to run the lights.

Can run into problems with signal strength and perhaps your neighbor can operate your lights. But there are easy ways around this.

The best source I have found for X10 is www.smarthome.com in calif. I wanted a dimmable module I could dim over time and they pointed me to the right unit.

They also sell other x10 compatable products. Leviton makes a commerical product long used in office buildings.

And its a fun system to set up.

#78770 10/23/01 01:26 AM
Red,

They can be a great labor saver. I've used them to control outdoor lighting 100 feet from the house. The alternative would have been much more expensive. They also add a lot of flexibility. I'm not sure how susceptable they are to power surges though.

Bill

Bill
#78771 10/23/01 03:45 PM
N
In my experience, they seem pretty immune to "garden variety" power surges and spikes (motor startups, etc.), but a nearby lightning strike will often take them out unless proper surge protection is provided at the entrance panel.

Older units also tend to generate wideband RF noise when in operation, which can wreak havoc with radio reception. Not a real problem with strong signals on the AM or FM broadcast bands, but trying to use these things in the same house as a shortwave receiver or ham radio is a recipe for frustration.

Link Copied to Clipboard