ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#78373 09/12/01 06:45 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
I have to repair a gable mounted HPS fixture that was mounted on the cover of the WP box and therefore only supported by the 2 #6-32 screws. I think it should be mounted on the threaded hubs, and I remember one of Joe T's photos showing fixtures mounted similarly. However, I come up short when I search for the applicable code article. Am I imagining it?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

J
I've recently had to re-fit several new lights to older construction; I know just the situation you describe. It's especially vexing when the wall is masonry, with a "handy box" set in it- there's not much to work with, and you really don't want to tear up the wall!
Anyway, I'd really like some code guidance as well as "tips & tricks" from you guys!

John W, I'd sure use the hub if possible. Not only do the 6/32s not hold well, most w/p boxes will bust out easily at the point where the box meets the strap with all the 6/32 holes in it.
John S, A couple of things I've tried:
Retap holes to 10-32 (not much help)
In masonry, remove back K/O from box, drill hole completely through wall, & use a piece of threaded rod with nuts & washers.
(Does anybody still make the fixture studs that screw to the back of the box?)

With highbays:
Swivel covers (by Appleton) with conduit stems.
If hanging from a K/O in a welded box, be sure to use the formed, and not welded, side of the box for support. I've seen the entire welded portion of a 4S box give way with a 20lb fixture attached. If not for the safety chain it would have fallen 35 ft and made a very uncomfortable hat for someone. [Linked Image]

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks for the input. As I said, I think I remember reading this in the code. I can't seem to find it though.

S
Redsy;
370-27(a)EX ???

R
Redsy Offline OP
Sparky,
That must be it. Thanks!
I guess that means a wall sconce or entrance light weighing less than 6 lbs. may be mounted on a single gang device box. Could it actually be argued that a 3 hub WP coverplate on a single gang WP box is "designed for the purpose"? It still relies on the 2 #6 screws. A round box with the #8s is a safer bet, but I'll use the hubs on the box to be sure.

R
Redsy Offline OP
Sparky,
I finished today, and replaced the old box and fixture. I used the hub instead and although "the other one was fine for 15 years", I'm glad I change it.
BTW,
I had to use a threaded Killark street 90 to get the back of the fixture to clear the wall.

S
Good man Redsy.
i take it whole arguement is screw size vs. fixture wieght. I was crusin' the NEC for that recent change ( 99'??) that allows us to use cieling mounted boxes for the same rationale, no soap as yet... [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard