ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77964 07/30/01 01:46 PM
M
Mike Offline OP
No one was killed but people were hurt from this accident. http://seattlep-i.nwsource.com/local/33094_boom28.shtml

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#77965 07/30/01 05:20 PM
S
figures;
they're lookin' to lynch the last tradesman
[Linked Image]

#77966 07/30/01 08:56 PM
Any "plumber" that would intentionally cap off a T&P valve isn't a tradesman. He's a menace to society.

I'll go get the rope.

#77967 07/31/01 07:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
This comment is not directed at anyone in particular, of course.

The plumber goes in. The T&P valve is leaking. He doesn't have another on his truck, so he just puts a plug in the end and leaves figuring he'll get another one sometime and replace it.

This reminds me of the penny in the Edison base fuse holder of a circuit that keeps blowing, or bypassing a GFCI that is nuisance tripping.

Just maybe the T&P valve was leaking because there was an actual by undetected malfunction of the heater.

Just maybe a GFCI trips because there is a real leak. And we all know that the fuse that keeps blowing is saying that the wires are overloaded.

The T&P valve on the water heater is the only pressure relief valve on many water systems. Capping it when it leaks is a lot like slugging a fuse when it blows.

We simply trust that no one is doing things like these within 465' feet of where we work, walk, or drive..

#77968 08/03/01 12:10 AM
A
This brings back a recollection of a water heater/boiler explosion in a Bell Telephone building many years ago. PRV didn't work, it rocketed up from the basement into the employee cafeteria and exploded. Mass carnage.

Don't recall what the cause was, but it made a lot of us appreciate the importance of having a qualified operating engineer in the building...one who checked the boiler system regularly.

#77969 08/05/01 11:45 AM
T
Originally posted by Dspark:
This comment is not directed at anyone in particular, of course.

The plumber goes in. The T&P valve is leaking. He doesn't have another on his truck, so he just puts a plug in the end and leaves figuring he'll get another one sometime and replace it.

This reminds me of the penny in the Edison base fuse holder of a circuit that keeps blowing, or bypassing a GFCI that is nuisance tripping.

Just maybe the T&P valve was leaking because there was an actual by undetected malfunction of the heater.

Just maybe a GFCI trips because there is a real leak. And we all know that the fuse that keeps blowing is saying that the wires are overloaded.

The T&P valve on the water heater is the only pressure relief valve on many water systems. Capping it when it leaks is a lot like slugging a fuse when it blows.

We simply trust that no one is doing things like these within 465' feet of where we work, walk, or drive..

That same plumber may have turned off the power to the water heater. The occupant may have accidently turned it back on. One more reason to practice lock out tag out but even that won't always save you. I was working on an exhaust fan at a church summer camp and I had to disconnect it from its power which came from a shared circuit. I locked out and tagged out the circuit. When I returned with the needed parts the lock out had been torn off the breaker and the circuit reenergized to turn on the porch lights. Since no one had messed with the exposed wires no harm resulted but that was pure luck.

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
#77970 08/05/01 11:45 PM
Same plumber defeated a safety device on purpose. If it leaks, run a hose out the door or shut it off.

I'll go find a tree

#77971 08/07/01 05:00 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
That same plumber may have turned off the power to the water heater.
I don't see how that could change the fact that the PRV was capped - a glaring error independent of anything else that was done.

Link Copied to Clipboard