ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7722 02/19/02 12:08 AM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
I recall reading somewhere that "nail-in" or "hammer-set" anchors will come loose during a fire. In other words, you shouldn't use them to support electrical conduit and boxes to a concrete ceiling because they aren't rated for fire. But, everybody does. Anyone have the skoop about them?

R
I know that some lead anchors have restrictions on their use due to the possibility of melting during a fire. But I believe steel is OK.

E
Elzappr Offline OP
I don't think the anchors that I am referring to are made of steel..more like some sort of lead/zinc/? alloy..its pretty soft stuff.

S
Elzapper, I have not heard about that but it makes sense. Many moons ago when I was involved with the fire service we had major discussions about the metal plates used in truss rafters, seems in a fire they would char the wood around them and would give away with no warning. Most of the anchors are made of a lead-zinc alloy and do have a low melting point though.

J
JBD Offline
For technical information on fasteners go to Powers website at http://www.powers.com/aepdf/AEnew.htm

E
Elzappr Offline OP
I've got a Powers catalog (couldn't use the link you provided because my Acrobat Reader 5.0 isn't working right..freezes my computer up!) and it says that standard Zamac Nailins AREN'T recommended for overhead use. Additionally they state that their Zamac Hammar-Screw can be used for overhead, but only if it is "designed by an engineer who will take the proper design considerations and safety factors into account." Well, nobody does that! What sort of design considerations? Fires?

Link Copied to Clipboard