ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 101 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77174 05/10/01 05:10 PM
M
A have a question that perhaps someone can help me with.

A just purchased a new home & each room has 3 light switches together with 1 face plate.

The switches operate a fan with a light attached to it & a switched outlet for a lamp.

one switch works the fan, another works the light on the fan & the third works a switched electrical outlet

my question is there any code requirement that says the switches should be hooked up in any order.

in one room the first switch works the fan, middle switch works the light & the third switch works the outlet.

in another room the first switch works the light, middle works the fan & third works the outlet.

each room has a different pattern.

In addition, the rec room has 6 ceiling mounted recessed lighting, each controlled by a separate switch above a L shaped bar.

6 switches next to each other. I would think that the first switch would work the first light, second switch the second light etc.

But the first switch works the third light, second switch the fourth light, third switch the first light.

We can never get the right light on the first try. When guests come over, forget about it.

If some one could advise me if I have any basis to insist the electrical contractor correct this would be appreciated.

He said he would change it to what ever I want but he would charge me for it.

I can not even locate the code to see if this is addressed therein.

Thank you very much.

Mike704394@aol.com

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
If some one could advise me if I have any basis to insist the electrical contractor correct this would be appreciated.
User-friendliness, customer satisfaction, not in the code, though.

He said he would change it to what ever I want but he would charge me for it.
Print his name. Spread the word that he is like this.

I always do the order consistently in each room (usually baths). If someone else did them wrong, I still switch them to the same order so I don't look bad and you'll want me back. I can't believe that the guy made you ask, much less pay if he did it in an unfriendly manner in the first place.

That's like making some receptacles up and some down at random.

He did you a favor. He just told you that he is a sloppy workman who doesn't care.

Find a good electrician. Pay him. Ask him to check a few other things just in case, like pull down a light, look in the load center, and check all your receptacles especially the GFCIs!

S
Mike;
I'd have to second Dspark's post here, especially the last part;

Find a good electrician. Pay him. Ask him to check a few other things just in case, like pull down a light, look in the load center, and check all your receptacles especially the GFCIs!

A site visit , and a little investigating will probably be very revealing...
[Linked Image]

W
Mike,

There is not a code requirement thatI know of. Although most of us will install them in sequence.

Based on what you have said you have a moral reason to ask the contractor to change the switching sequence.

Other than that,its his prerogative where he wants to charge for this service.

Mike don't look at this in a negative way.It will give you a opportunity to meet the contractor ( if you havn't already) and ask all kinds of questions and get a insight of how your home is wired. [Linked Image]

Wayne

Link Copied to Clipboard