ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
is there a code requirement to have receptacles 18" above the floor in a residential garage?

is there a code restriction that would not allow a garage gfci protected outlet from supplying a high efficiency hot water heater exhaust fan? i believe the gas supply to the w.h. will shut off automatically if the power is interrupted.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Lance,

I know of no height requirements for outlets in residential garages. But, the NEC is a minimum and it cannot take every circumstance into account. If you are installing or having outlets installed in a garage it would be a good extra precaution to take. Besides, having outlets at higher levels in a garage are more practical and easier to reach.

As for your second question, I am not familiar with this type of HW Heater. if you think that the fan turning off would cause problems or even be undesirable I would meke sure that it is not on a GFCI protected line. They do trip accidentally sometimes with power surges or storms. For this reason I personally will not put a refrigerator or freezer on a GFCI protected outlet if it can be avoided. Having it trip while you are away on vacation and all the food inside spoiling is something that doesn't have to happen.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
W
Lance,
There are no code requirement on the height of rec in a garage, However it is more practial to have then higher in a garage are for most people would have a work bench or something to work off of and a rec at least 42" above the floor works great. [Linked Image]

Far as for the second question. There are no code requirement on that either. If memory serves me right, on those types heaters they use an electric ignitors, unlike the older counter partner which used a thermocouplem and a pilot lite. so you would not have gas entering the burner unless called for and if in the case mention the gas would not necessary have to shut off. it just would not lite the burner to get hot untill the power was back on. The gas solenoid vale requires current before opening. I hope this is helful.
[Linked Image]
Wayne

R
I believe this may have something to do with potential accumulation of gasoline vapors, which are heavier than air, and would tend to lie low. I can't remember where I first heard this explanation though. And, I thought it was higher than 18".

L
the 97 UPC, plumbing code, 510.1 says to put ignition sources 18" or more above the floor and includes pilots, burners, and switches.

the 98 IMC, mechanical code, 304.2 says the same thing.

the NEC 210-52(g) on garages doesn't address this issue of vapors in a garage... when i wired in Oregon, it used to be a requirement by an NEC amendment. guess thats where i heard it.

lance,

The NEC does have very specific restrictions and requirements in Commercial garages and similar areas, but not for residential applications. Although it could always be a local amendment.

Bill

Bill
M
Why bury receptacles behind stuff stacked 3 feet or higher? Also, the higher the better for extension cords. Lowers the chances of damaging the cords.

Link Copied to Clipboard