ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
While installing a 200A meterbase and tightening the 2"x 6" nipple, the KO came apart and (eccentric type KO's) so I made a call to the PoCo engineer and asked if I could use reducing washers as long as I bonded with a grounding-type locknut (the ones with the screw). He had no problem with having reducing washers but did not want any #4 copper in his meterbase.

What happens when the AHJ busts me for noncompliance with 250-94? Should I get an affidavit from the PoCo engineer?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
geeez!

bettween the AHJ, PoCo & the customer you can really feel like the pivot man!
[Linked Image]

can you bond the other side of this nipple??

After pointing out and quoting 250-94 on his voice mail, the engineer admitted (with little argument) that I was correct on 250-94 and bonding to the Disco side of the nipple was what we agreed on. The engineer said he would even upgrade the brochures on the PoCo requirements and thanked me for bringing this up to his attention. Apparently all future services using a galvanized nipple will require a grounding-type locknut (or bushing). BTW, the brochure on PoCo requirements suggests using a galvanized nipple, but the engineer agreed that using PVC would eliminate the whole "proper bonding" problem.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-05-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
'66

We've been using schedule 80 pvc on Residential Services for years now. The #1 reason (for me) was because of the bonding issue. We used to use Bonding bushings and use a #6 bare solid wire taped green. Somewhere along the line they (Utility) decided they want an insulated solid #6 bonding wire - which suppliers don't even carry except by special order! That was the deciding factor for many to change to pvc.

Bill

Bill
S
thankfully, most utilities have an approachable EE who acts as liason for utiltiy-nec conflicts,no-no's get addressed, errors get corrected
[Linked Image]
Virgil;
many of those KO's are inconsistent, some take a beating, some fall right out, probably no challenge for those bass-calloused fingers eh??

[Linked Image]

Tom Offline
'66,

You actually got an Allegheny Power Company employee to commit to something? Mark it on your calender, you're not likely to see it again in your lifetime.

As other posts suggest, bonding can be at either end & the panel side is usually easiest.

Be glad you aren't in Clarksburg. The AHJ was (at one time) insisting on a 3rd ground rod because the nipple between the meter socket in panel was PVC & there was no bonding bushing. [Linked Image] Swear to God!

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
What about keeping conduit electrically continuous from end to end? Shouldn't there be a grounding bushing on BOTH ends as per 300-10?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 04-09-2001).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
66'
tell me your thoughts on 250-92(a)3

[Linked Image]

Tom Offline
'66,

The bonding bushing only needs to be at one end. The two locknuts (for a GRC nipple) on the other end make it electrically & mechanically continuous.

Best way to avoid needing the bushing (sometimes a grounding locknut will work) is to use PVC when possible, except in Clarksburg with that dad blasted third ground rod.

Sparky,

As far as 250-92(a)3 is concerned, if the job specs don't specifically call for additional protection of the GEC, use one big enough to withstand a little abuse so you don't need the conduit. When I lived out west, we used to be able to buy a ground rod clamp that would connect a 1/2" GRC to the rod & provide a connection for the GEC. It was made of malleable iron &I believe they were called "Terry Clamps" (brand name). Haven't seen them since I moved back East. You ever seen them?

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 04-09-2001).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
Tom;
i think i know what you mean,i only see them on older services once in a while. probably before pvc was popular

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard