ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#76707 03/19/01 04:54 AM
O
Hello and thanks for the messages of welcome
I will attempt to participate if im able, My level of knowledge is broadening slowly. We would appear to do somethings a little differently (way) down here.. in Kiwiland

Cheers
The oldest apprentice in NZ

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76708 03/19/01 07:15 AM
S
Appy;
Jump on in and tell us a little about how an electrician does things on your end of the world

[Linked Image]

#76709 03/19/01 09:30 AM
old appy,

Welcome!

We're always looking for some fresh viewpoints and find it interesting to hear of how things work in other areas of the Globe. I was just looking at a website about New Zealand tourism and it seems like a pretty unique place! I Look forward to your participation.

Bill

Bill
#76710 03/19/01 11:12 AM
B
Old Appy: I like your title. Must be an interesting reason behind this choice.
I noticed the water rotates in an opposite direction, when flushing toilets, in your country. I was impressed by the amount of stainless steel used for sanitary facilities.
I purchased some of your NM cable, for use at the South Pole. Using the black conductor as a grounded/neutral took a bit of adjusting. The absence of a white conductor was my first discovery.
I also noticed your standard switching position is opposite to the US application. Up is off, and down is on, unless the ones I observed were incorrectly installed.
I won't go into my experience with driving on the left side of the roadways.
I was impressed by the lack of poverty, among the citizens, and the low crime rate.
The Police, being unarmed, was a good statement, regarding the crime situation, and culture.

#76711 03/20/01 07:16 AM
O
Our water still flushes the opposite way, our Police dont carry side arms yet, thankfully. We use Black or Blue for Neutral only, and are no longer allowed to use these as a switch wires either or Green and Yellow/Green (earth only)lots of changes industry wise here to bring us in line with other countries in the South Pacific ie Aus.
Also our lights switch down for on up for off, well at least mine do. We typically use a 230 volt 1 phase supply in town, some houses in the country may have 2 x phases or even 3. as do many or most factories, I will try and keep up with you guys but if i ask the odd dumb Q? please bear with me

#76712 03/20/01 10:42 AM
B
Old Appy: Unless you are going to ask "what color is the green grounding screw?" we all appear to agree, there is no dumb question. This trade, being a theoretical technology, presents a lot of unknown facts.
I have 50 years of involvement, I feel I am just beginning to understand some of the basics, that I should have learned years ago.
I was too busy working to learn anything.
Do the Kiwi's call an apprentice "an off sider", or is that the Australian term?
I did examine some of the distribution and power systems in your country. The economical consideration was impressive. The US is a "throw away society", compared to New Zealand's concept of using everything forever.
The reuse of containers, repairing and restoring equipment, was the practice, in this country over 50 years ago. It is gone now, but may have violent repercussions, in the future.

#76713 03/20/01 11:02 AM
Even "what color is the green grounding screw?" isn't a dumb question... Eagle brand ground screws are almost blue, sort of a teal I guess. So... in this context, the answer would be "for Eagle brand, bluish-green or teal".

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#76714 03/20/01 02:24 PM
Broom Pusher and
Old Appy:
Welcome to the group! Great to see more people joining in.
As everyone already stated, feel free to ask any questions you have. No questions are ever stupid, however I hold the record for stupid answers! [Linked Image]

Got a question to throw your way conserning your power system.

As you stated, the Residential service is 230 VAC 1 phase [is this 50 or 60 Hz??].
I am also going to assume [Linked Image] that the secondary is grounded [if not let me know] and that the system is 1 phase 2 wire, rather than our 1 phase 3 wire systems.

Do you have a grounded conductor, or just a center tap ground at the transformer. And if the center tap is grounded, is that brought to each main service panel via a conductor ran with the service feeders, then bonded to the service and grounded at each service, but is not used in any power circuits??

Think I may have asked Bennie about this in a forum a while back, but we ended up discussing something else - "now for something completely different" - which eventually led to me forgetting all about that certain point.

Anyhow, reply if you want to.
Will be great to swap trade stuff with someone outside North America [more like not even on the American Continents, or even in the Northern Hemisphere!].

Your Summer season is coming to an end now isn't it? Ends at the Equinox [March 22].
Love that simple but completely necessary part of Earth / Nature! We're finally getting away from the rain, cold and miserable weather of Winter, heading into Spring, and the sun is out past 6:00 PM !
Hurry Summer Solstice!! [Linked Image]

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#76715 03/20/01 10:06 PM
B
Scott: Sorry I missed your inquiry, on the other discussion. I will let The old apprentice, address this subject. It will be good for his training. [Linked Image]
I can maybe add some to his response after his posting. I learned a lot when I was there. The old "postman holiday scenario". Visiting one of the best vacation spots in the world, and studying their electrical systems.? How sick can I get!

#76716 03/21/01 06:40 AM
O
Well i will try to answer your questions and if i'm wrong i hope the more knowledgable among you will put me right.
From the transformers on the roadside we have a 3 phase,400 volts (between phases) or 230 volts phase-neutral phase-earth most households would use single phase.We utlilise a multiple earth neutral (MEN) system of distribution the transformers are in a star configuration (i think) with Neutral centre tapped and Grounded (how am i doing Bennie?)
the household would have a earthing electrode driven into the the surrounding ground for fault current so from the transformer 2 cores are used phase and neutral usually a 16-25 mm neutral screen conductor direct buried. In a 3 phase system the neutral carries only the out of balance current.All at 50Hz.
Something of interest our Country is made of 2 islands ( north and south) the majority of the people live in the north, the majority of the power comes from the South, they transmit the power across the water between the islands in HVDC to get around any out of frequency problems.
Nearly forgot our power is generated at 11kV stepped up to 220kV or 110kV for transmission to the Network subs from them down to 33kV and 11kV and then 400v and 2
Alas yes summer comes to an end it has however been glorious and a cool spell is welcome.
TTFN

[This message has been edited by old Appy (edited 03-21-2001).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard