ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#76658 03/07/01 09:52 PM
How many people here own any UL directories? And which ones?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76659 03/09/01 07:30 AM
S
I asked my AHJ some years ago, i forget how many volumes he said there were. As i understand it , they change every few years.
This, and the fact that my AHJ has made his available,is why i have not as yet bought into them.

#76660 03/09/01 09:03 PM
Tom Offline
There are about 19 directories in all. The ones likely to be of interest to an electrician are:
Electrical Appliance & Utilization Equipment
Electrical Construction Equipment (green book)
Hazrdous Locations Equipment
General Information for Electrical Equipment (white book)

The ones I've found to be most useful are the White Book & the Green Book. The Green Book lists names & addresses of manufacturers of listed equipment.

Tom

Most directories are free for anyone who is an electrical inspector.

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#76661 03/09/01 11:13 PM
I have an old Green and White Book somewhere, I don't even remember where or how I got them, only that they seemed important at the time along with a copy of the National Electrical Safety Code. I soon found out that I was in the minority even having knowledge of their existence. None of the "Mechanics" (Maint.) I worked with even owned a copy of the NEC.

It gets discouraging after awhile, spouting code that no one including Management really cares about. What's the moral? I don't know, but there were some near-serious accidents and thankfully I was not close by. After the Companys' 'downsizing' to nothing several of these guys tried to get into the Trade but couldn't make it. Last I heard the "Ace" was making Pizza somewhere in Florida.

Do they have an Orange book too? Is that the Hazardous Location Equip?

Bill

Bill
#76662 03/10/01 10:04 AM
Tom Offline
Bill,

Don't know about the orange book, maybe it is IEEE, they seem to like the rainbow.

I know how you feel about others ignoring the code. My reputation as an inspector is "too fussy." I only ask people to meet what is in the NEC, not what I think they should be doing.

As far as ignoring violations, many people say "it seems to be working fine, lets leave it alone." That sounds like the guy who jumped off the World Trade Center Building and as he passed the 10th floor said "so far, so good."

If you want look at an informative publication, get ahold of UL's marking guide for panelboards.It is 26 pages of more info than most people want to know about panelboards.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
#76663 03/10/01 10:30 AM
Broom Pusher and
I would personally love to get the entire set of these UL "Color" manuals.

This and the IEEE "Color" set of manuals would be very nice!

After that, my reference Library would be something!

How does one go about obtaining the above mentioned literature?
Can Mr. John Q. Public purchase them from the UL website, and will IEEE sell directly to John Q. Public, or does one need to have a member do the buying?

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#76664 03/10/01 11:20 AM
G
I have not been an inspector for over two years, but I don't think things have changed much in getting certain UL information.

Attend IAEI Chapter and Section Meetings and UL usually have plenty of "MARKING GUIDES" and lots of other info available for the asking.

If you are and AHJ, send your title on Municipal letter head to UL and you will be on the UL mailing list for several of those Colored Directories. Every year received a book with 5 or 6 of them.

Like several persons have indicated, " The UL White Book is the rest of the Code ".

Like the NEC, I think, you need to read the ' subjects ' in White Book more than once to understand the total intent.

The Marking Guides' have very useful information as noted by TOM.

Attend some IAEI Section Meetings and get many of the publications free.

AND LEARN FROM THE EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS PRESENTED in these three day meetings !!!!

Glenn

#76665 03/10/01 11:24 AM
G
In my previous post , correct the "Every year I received a BOX ( not book ) with 5 or 6 different colored Directories.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn (edited 03-10-2001).]

#76666 03/10/01 12:32 PM
Glenn,

BTW, you can edit your posts at any time with the little pencil and paper icon above the posts.

I was recently thinking along the same lines after discovering that information like that contained in some of the UL directories is included as part of the Canadian Electrical Code. It sure seems like a great Idea that they be closely associated. I guess it's hard though, coming from different sources. Still, the UL directories seem to be fully supported by the NEC it's a wonder why they are not in every sparkys' library? Maybe they need a good publicist. What do you think?

Bill

Bill
#76667 03/10/01 12:48 PM
T
I have the white book I got from a Soares Seminar. Before that I haden't seen them. It is nice to read the actual listing uses for materials. A good example is the use of OTHER THAN direct bearing set screw connectors on aluminum AC cable. I don't see this in the code, but it is in the white book. The cheepo connectors supply houses ship are not listed for Alum AC but they don't know that and most wireman don't know of the white book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard