ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
[Linked Image from joetedesco.com]

Qualified Person. One who has skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training on the hazards involved.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 11-09-2003).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Joe,

I love that picture!
I notice the new safety training requirement in the definition. I'm sure most will agree that this would be a good thing in theory. Is there any part of the code that stipulates what type of training or how much? Is each jurisdiction going to have to form it's own committees or whatever to investigate this and stay on top of it? Or is that as far as it goes? I'm surprised that some sort of guidelines or reccomendations have not accompanied this definition change. It almost sounds like the AHJ would have to make a determination on a case by case basis who was qualified for what. I'm just a little confused by it at the moment as to how it can work like this.

Bill

Bill
Bill:

I guess that most will look at the OSHA 1910.332 requirement for training which gives us certain guidelines. I would like to see something in the NEC and maybe we'll find it in the new Article 80?

Joe

Joe,

That (Art 80) would be the place where I would have expected to see it. I see general guidelines for qualification of Inspectors but not Electricians. If that was going to be part of the Application and certification process for Electricians might We end up with many different classifications because of different skills and safety knowledge necessary for different types of work? (ie Hazardous locations and their different classifications)

Another thing, the "skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the Electrical Equipment" sort of implies (to me) that some intimate knowledge of the inner workings of Electrical Equipment may be necessary. Does that mean that We have to know Electronics to install a plc? I realize that wording these things is very difficult, I am just picking at it. That would not be the intention, .... Right? [Linked Image]

In short, I think that some rewording or accompanying explanation or guidelines is required. You could have a real flamer here Joe!

Bill

Bill
Bill:

Yes, I agree that the flames will begin to fly as soon as the industry is confronted with this new definition.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-27-2001).]

Spell Check?
Oh, yeah, I didn't see that. Did you use it?
I was wondering how "confrunted" got passed up in your message? [Linked Image]

I think that some people may be tired of debating such intangible entities as the "Qualified" Person. It is much easier to point out the shortcomings of a definition than it is to come up with a consise one. I'll go around with you a few times, but take it easy on me OK? [Linked Image]

I don't know as I would have any better Ideas, but I am more interested in knowing the intent of this code change, I mean how should this be interpreted and carried out?

We have other areas in the Code with poorly worded language but We all (most anyway) know what is meant by it so it's not a problem. I can see this as creating much controversy if it is left as is without additional explanation.

To start off, let me ask you - plain English, OK? - What is your opinion, as an Instructor as to how this well-meaning Safety Training requirement should be implemented and according to what guidelines and who should be Judge and Jury on this?
I'm just asking opinions here. I don't mean to put you on the spot but I'd like to know.

Bill

Bill
S
Ok, here we go... [Linked Image]

What's the real intent of this?

Are we sending Mr. Osha man , heart transplant tool in hand, after the entire trade because of a few bad apples?

Do we go after the licensed sparky's first, that'll play like the gun control deal...

"How long have we had the NEC ? but there is no national license ?" , how many times have you heard a newbee say it.

If you live close to state, or county boarders , the entire ballgame can change with a walk across the street.

So why not look at the big picture, and compliment the trade by a nationally recognized ticket?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 02-21-2001).]

S
Log 3800, the substation includes the words "who & "what"

My question is HOW ?

[Linked Image]

Sparky,

I was able to locate those OSHA standards.
http://www.osha-slc.gov/FedReg_osha_data/FED19900806.html

Bill

Bill
Bill:

I would use the following to begin when verifying the qualification's of a person as it related to the work being done:

http://www.osha-slc.gov/OshStd_data/1910_0332.html

It will be interesting to see how the electrical industry handles the new definition.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 02-24-2001).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard