ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 349 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#76452 02/11/01 11:43 PM
I have a small ups that I was going to have someone look at but haven't gotten around to it. I was at my brothers' company trying to figure out and label circuits for him and there was one We couldn't find for a good hour. We had a calcuator plugged into a receptacle and were watching it as We flipped the breakers. Nothing turned it off! The breaker He told me it was did not turn off the calculator. After insisting that it was the right one We shut it off and I pulled the breaker out of the panel. The calculator was still on & I tested the wire on the breaker and got 115 volts! A ups that was plugged into an outlet on that circuit was backfeeding the circuit through it's plug!

So, you never know what you might find!
Anybody got an Idea how that could happen?

Bill

Bill
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#76453 02/12/01 09:49 AM
R
Sparky,
Your original post stated:
All other circuits in the 120/208V 3 phase panel showed normal fluctuations in voltage and current. The voltage was steady on the questionable circuit on the line side of the breaker, but fluctuated as described above at the receptacles.

This appears to m to be nothing more serios than some type of poor connection somewhere between the panel and the loads.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#76454 02/12/01 08:46 PM
S
Bill,
the incident i mentioned was a stinky little UPS, cept' it was introducing a pulse on the circuit... probably built by the same satanic order

66'....what did you weed out there pal? We're all on the edge of our keyboards here... [Linked Image]

#76455 02/24/01 03:59 AM
Fluorescent lights under the counter on the opposite side of the 'puters. They were sharing the circuit. I'm not certain they were causing the flucuations, but they couldn't help. The circuit was also being shared with the office next door and was difficult to troubleshoot.

The dedicated circuit must have solved the crashing problems cause they've paid their bill!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 02-24-2001).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#76456 03/03/01 05:39 AM
T
Your place in question is next door to a doctors office? and they share a power panel? Dunno about ya'll, but my doc has his own X-ray machine, among other diagnostic items.....
One place I worked, Someone had placed a sign on one of the welders, 2 rooms away from the Maint supply guys desk, stateing, that if you needed to weld, you needed to inform him to shut down his computer. It was dated 10 years before i started working there. Well we started X-perimenting, and found out that they were both fed from the same panel, we also found out that the physical location didn't matter much, end result we re-wired the comps recept's to a panel on another X-Former solved the problem.....

#76457 03/03/01 11:10 AM
Said business is rebuilding and moving soon, so I didn't complain much about the setup.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard