ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7558 02/09/02 07:17 PM
S
Hi All [Linked Image]

I will be moving to Florida in May and I had a couple of questions if anyone could help out, maybe,PLEASE!!
I am finishing up my 4th year as an electrical apprentice here in New Hampshire and have also gotten 4 years of OJT. I will be prepared to take my Journeymans test by this summer and would like to take it there as I will be living there in Florida for the rest of my natural life... [Linked Image] so I need to know if I have to start all over again there or will be schooling and OJT count so I can just take your journeymans test there in Florida. Would anyone have any info on this subject? Your help is the MAX!!!

Thanks
Brettina

Your the MAX!!!!
Brettina
#7559 02/10/02 07:27 AM
S
1st you should collect all your schooling & time via whatever official document NH uses

2nd, you could contact;
Florida
Department of Professional Regulation
Division of Electrical Contractors
1940 N. Monroe St. Suite 60
Tallahassee, FL 32399
(904) 488-3109

3rd, possibly some FLA 'lectricians here can chime in, as i've heard the red tape is rather tangled down south......
[Linked Image]

#7560 02/10/02 10:37 AM
T
Hi, I live in Collier County Fl which is Naples. I took the Journeymans test in 1980 here and had only been here a short time. I am almost positive your OJT and school count for being able to take the test down here. It is a total of 4 yrs (proven) and any combination of work and school count. I will get the site for you and get it to you.
Where are you going to live down in Fl. This is not meant to disuade you but working down here is a total different animal. Construction is not what you are used to. I came from Michigan and had learned the trade in Chgo. Workmanship has a whole new meaning here, if that is what you want to call it. The pay scale is out of wack also. Living and working in Florida is not the same as visiting and just be prepared.

Get back with me,
Tom

Sparky, you are correct about the "red tape" down here but it really gets bad only when you are wanting to become a contractor. Applying for tests is easy if you have the necessary time and OJT. It is just a nightmare if you want to start your own business. Everyone and I mean everyone gets their share and they don't make it easy.

Tom

#7561 02/10/02 10:54 AM
S
Hey Sparky

Thanks so much for the reply to my posting. The address will come in handy and your help was appreciated. Stay WARM!!! [Linked Image]

Brettina

Your the MAX!!!!
Brettina
#7562 02/10/02 11:06 AM
S
Dear Tom

Your response to my posting was much needed. You have given me some very valuable info and I am very grateful for sure. From what you tell me in your letter....reading between the lines of course...its all-for-one down there. Not a good thing to hear I must say. Are there many woman in the electrical trades? I am only part of 2% here as it is. I would like to correspond with you through e-mail and get more info if thats appropriate. Please let me know if thats ok. This is a big move for me and I would like to be as prepared as I could be for this BIG change in my life. I'm ready for warm if you know what I mean. Working winters here is tough but I love my work and look forward to many more years in this field.

Thanks for your time...You ARE the MAX!!!
Brettina

P.S. What about the pay scale? Could you tell me roughly what thats like? Thanks Again and Again [Linked Image])

Your the MAX!!!!
Brettina
#7563 02/10/02 12:16 PM
Hey Sparkette,
I recently tested in Orange county. For proof of experience they require notorized letters from former employers with company letterhead stating dates employed.

#7564 02/10/02 12:53 PM
S
Hey Voltron

Thanks for the information! Do you mind if I ask A couple of questions. How was the test and did you only have to take it once? Did the test have to be done in a certain amount of time? Did you have to have 4 years of tech school? Thanks for your time, it was most valuable!!! [Linked Image]

By the way, how is the pay if you don't mind?
Thanks again
Brettina

Your the MAX!!!!
Brettina
#7565 02/10/02 02:33 PM
The test you must take depends on what area you plan to work in. Most cities/counties recipricate, some do not.
I did not pass my masters test on the first attempt( fell short 8.9%). I did pass the business law test the first time.
The jouneyperson's test is 3 parts:
Closed book 1 hour-50 questions
Open book 2 hours-50 questions
Calculations 3 hours-30 questions

#7566 02/26/02 08:39 PM
Sparkette,

I just got back from Fla. I go each year in Feb. Several days were pretty warm. Are you sure you will be able to make that adjustment? [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
#7567 02/27/02 06:56 PM
Tom Offline
I was under the impression that the State of Florida had no licensing requirement for electricians (contractors do have a requirement). I thought they just license the really dangeroous occupations such as hair dressers & electrologists. [Linked Image]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard