ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#7510 02/09/02 08:42 AM
Bill: Here's a new definition in the 2002 NEC that was always included in many of the NFPA codes:

"Authority Having Jurisdiction. The organization, office, or individual responsible for approving equipment, materials, an installation, or a procedure.

FPN:The phrase “authority having jurisdiction” is used in NFPA documents in a broad manner, since jurisdictions and approval agencies vary, as do their responsibilities. Where public safety is primary, the authority having jurisdiction may be a federal, state, local, or other regional department or individual such as a fire chief; fire marshal; chief of a fire prevention bureau, labor department, or health department; building official; electrical inspector; or others having statutory authority. For insurance purposes, an insurance inspection department, rating bureau, or other insurance company representative may be the authority having jurisdiction. In many circumstances, the property owner or his or her designated agent assumes the role of the authority having jurisdiction; at government installations, the commanding officer or departmental official may be the authority having jurisdiction."

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#7511 02/09/02 09:15 AM
F
Bill,

Here in Pittsburgh,PA the AHJ is our City Electrical Inspection Department. The Inspectors are very qualified. A National Electrical Inspectors Certification is required along with documented experience in the field as a licensed electrican.

#7512 02/09/02 10:29 AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. So far it sounds like most Inspectors are employed by the Municipality in some way, either directly or as subcontractors. Is this correct?

That is a bit different than what we have here. I'd imagine that when when you all do a job you have to contact the Municipality to get it inspected? Here we select and contact the Inspector directly and actually pay tnem too. When the job passes inspection a copy of the certificate is then sent to the town.

Do the Inspectors out there have any authority to violate or report violations of other trades or hazardous conditions they may encounter by chance? I think that one drawback to our situation is that the Inspectors, have only a casual connection to the Municipality which might make it difficult to pursue any other bad situations they may come across while doing what they are contracted for. They can't violate someone that didn't hire them.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-09-2002).]

Bill
#7513 02/09/02 01:16 PM
There are so many different municipalities/counties here that I should stay off of this thread.
SoCA has over 100, only to inspect your work.

To get a bldg permit is absolute H*** (heck)

#7514 02/09/02 04:02 PM
S
Electure, I have three brothers in the trade in California and they tell horror stories about the "inspectors" there. It is also bad here in Washington in that the union is very strong here and both the licensing and permit requirements are stringent. As far as I can tell all of the inspectors here are government of some type. The state also requires all inspectors to be licensed in Washington state for four years before being allowed as an inspector.
And Bill, you are right about private inspectors having more incentive to "get it right". But as taxpayers it should bother us that too often government employees are NOT held as acountable as those in the private sector.
Don

#7515 02/09/02 05:29 PM
Sparksalot,

I was just repeating a point that was brought up. I don't know which way is better, I'm just trying to get a handle on some of the different situations out there and what the 'norm' is.

When I wired my Parents' Cabin up in NH about 10 yrs ago I think the AHJ was the Fire Marshall. Everything that was done passed with no problem, but there was a sensor (or cutout) over the Furnace that needed to be installed to get final approval.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 02-09-2002).]

Bill
#7516 02/10/02 01:13 PM
Bill,
That's only because you do good work!

#7517 02/10/02 01:58 PM
electure,

[Linked Image] (blush}

[Linked Image]

Bill
#7518 02/11/02 09:45 PM
E
Here in MA we have local city and town inspectors. Most are ok but their are a few that should be removed ( to say it nicely) We have one guy (no names but he is in Medford) who will inspect everything in the basement no matter what. He will demand anything and everything from loosely stapled bx to catv wire to an extension cord for a droplight be repaired. All existing installations and hardly hazards. This is a man with a grudge who is infamous around the area. I will not work in his town unless absolutely necessary. Forunately his type is few and far between.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard