ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Recent Posts
Al Hildenbrand - Minneapolis - obituary
by Bill Addiss - 02/03/23 07:38 PM
by renosteinke - 01/27/23 09:52 PM
Does NEC 551.71 (F) apply to dwellings?
by BigB - 01/20/23 10:46 AM
Power submeter connections
by HotLine1 - 01/19/23 09:09 AM
New in the Gallery:
Burger King crown sillyness
Burger King crown sillyness
by wa2ise, December 11
240/208 to a house
240/208 to a house
by wa2ise, October 9
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 49
Who usually orders the temporary electrical service from the electric utility needed during construction?

The engineer,
The owner,
The contractor?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 806
Usually the builder or GC in my experience.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 10
Builder or GC here too.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 38
In years past the GCs would always take care of temporary power.

Now they just tell us to bring our own generator.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,788
Likes: 14
Steve's experience is what I see here in residential. They are on a generator until the TUG when the panel is set(usually as soon as the roof is black). Then you get one GFCI in the garage. Sometimes that ends up looking like Chevy Chase Christmas if you have a lot of trades stacked in there. When the production builders are rolling and the mushrooms are marching down the street they will also grab power from the building next door, across the street or 2 doors away. The problem is if you have a closed house in the middle of all that and the homeowner catches a trade using their water and power. My wife has just offered to pick up a month's bill to smooth those things over.

Greg Fretwell
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
LK Offline
In my area we have to order it, we need a job number from the utility to put on the permit which has to be sealed by us, has been that way ever since i can remenber, if the engineer, or owner calls it in, we have to do it all over, shows how things differ from state to state.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 32
In my area I would would put in the call to the power company

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 32
I should say on my jobs as the Electrical contractor.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
In this area no new service is energized without the electrical inspector calling the utility telling them to go ahead.

That being the case it takes an EC to start the process of getting a new service.

Now that said, the services billing will always be in the GCs name or if there is no GC the service will be in the projects owners name.

Usually the temps we do are billed T&M to the GC until the electrical contract for the project is signed. Once the electrical contract is given out we usually own maintaining the temps.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 316
We have the costs of temporary electric worked into the contract. We install Temp service, Have it inspected, Inspector notifies POCO. The owner or the General Contractor receives the bill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Tools for Electricians
Tools for Electricians

* * * * * * *
2023 National Electrical Code (NEC)
2023 NEC Now Available!
* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Bay Area
Posts: 61
Joined: August 2007
Top Posters(30 Days)
triple 3
BigB 3
Popular Topics(Views)
303,204 Are you busy
232,198 Re: Forum
216,942 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5