ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Inspection camera help
by petey_c. 09/22/18 07:52 AM
Motion detectors and dimmers
by gfretwell. 09/20/18 04:02 PM
Extension cords
by annemarie1. 09/20/18 08:54 AM
220/230/240V 60Hz Systems
by gfretwell. 09/16/18 12:37 PM
Acronis Backup 2017
by gfretwell. 09/16/18 12:46 AM
New in the Gallery:
Plug terminals
Housebilding DIY wiring
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 28 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Microwave blows up #73843
01/03/07 12:08 AM
01/03/07 12:08 AM
P
Peter  Offline OP
Member
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 92
San Diego
This question appeared on the Mike Holt forum and they gave him a lot of advice to "call an electrician":
"I have (had!) an above the stove microwave which plugged in to a receptacle above it in a cabinet. It's been there for over 3 years and operated without any problems. A few weeks ago the microwave stopped working. I replaced the fuse in the microwave and the electronics functioned properly but when it was actually ran, it completely stopped working. I purchased a new microwave, mounted it and the second I plugged it in, there was a large popping sound and a large spark traveling down the backside of the microwave. Needless to say it spooked me a bit."
I would like to expose this question to a wider audience in the hope of finding a cause for this catastrophe.
The only thing I can think of is perhaps a 240 volt receptacle but I somehow doubt it. Has anyone had a similar experience?
~Peter

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades
Re: Microwave blows up #73844
01/03/07 12:19 AM
01/03/07 12:19 AM
Lostazhell  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,431
Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Your typical microwave comes with a NEMA 5-15 plug, so it shouldn't plug into a NEMA 6-15/20 outlet... I'd start with a voltage reading from the outlet under load... Something smells of open neutral/multiwire circuit.

Re: Microwave blows up #73845
01/03/07 12:21 AM
01/03/07 12:21 AM
mxslick  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 803
Atomic City, ID USA
Quote
Something smells of open neutral/multiwire circuit.


Oh, Bob..... [Linked Image]


Stupid should be painful.
Re: Microwave blows up #73846
01/03/07 12:22 AM
01/03/07 12:22 AM
Lostazhell  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,431
Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
MX you were the first person I thought of when I typed that [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: Microwave blows up #73847
01/03/07 12:24 AM
01/03/07 12:24 AM
mxslick  Offline
Member
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 803
Atomic City, ID USA
Thanks Randy!! Now we sit back and wait... [Linked Image]


Stupid should be painful.
Re: Microwave blows up #73848
01/03/07 06:18 AM
01/03/07 06:18 AM
I
iwire  Offline
Moderator
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
North Attleboro, MA USA
Tony all kidding aside two wire circuits have problems as well.

If you don't want to use the type of circuit that delivers the electricity to your home, that is up to you.

But I will tell you I am tiring of your unsupported posts that multi wire circuits are inherently bad.

You have based your opinion on anecdotal evidence and not science.

Your are certainly entilitled to give your opinion but enough is enough.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-03-2007).]


Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Re: Microwave blows up #73849
01/03/07 06:30 AM
01/03/07 06:30 AM
I
iwire  Offline
Moderator
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,391
North Attleboro, MA USA
FWIW I would also be looking for an open neutral condition somewhere.

It could even be at the utility and the Micro was just the first victim.


Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Re: Microwave blows up #73850
01/03/07 07:17 AM
01/03/07 07:17 AM
R
Roger  Offline
Member
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 1,716
N.C.
I will also jump on this bandwagon.

Tony, if it scares you so much then by all means don't use the method, for those of us who do use it and never have problems with it, we will continue to do so. Your bad experiences can probably be attributed more to sorry workmanship of the installer(s)than to the wiring method itself.

If it's so terribly bad you should lobby to have all residential services redone with individual grounded conductors for each ungrounded conductor worldwide, after all they are MWC's.


Roger



[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 01-03-2007).]

Re: Microwave blows up #73851
01/03/07 04:29 PM
01/03/07 04:29 PM
L
LK  Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
New Jersey
"Your bad experiences can probably be attributed more to sorry workmanship of the installer(s)than to the wiring method itself."

I am no fan of multi wire circuits, being used just for the purpose of saving a few bucks, but that does not make them bad, or dangerous to install, they have their place, and i would use them without worry, the problems usually arise, when they are installed by someone that does not understand them.

Re: Microwave blows up #73852
01/03/07 05:25 PM
01/03/07 05:25 PM
E
electech  Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 113
Northern Il
Consumers should call an electrician any time a replacement item fails out of box.

Though my work is in regulatory approvals / product safety, I say this because one day I may be an electrician...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
dougwells
dougwells
kamloops BC Canada
Posts: 1,149
Joined: May 2003
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 13
Trumpy 11
Popular Topics(Views)
249,374 Are you busy
187,301 Re: Forum
176,649 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.022s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 1.0285 MB (Peak: 1.2034 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-09-22 13:54:50 UTC