ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
e57 Offline OP
Well - its Day one of the mandatory certification requirement - anyone get busted yet?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Not me!... Oh wait.. Ummm I passed [Linked Image]

I did notice that the newspaper had no advertisements for electricians that didn't mention certification.

That only lasted for a couple of days though. Business is back to usual.

E
e57 Offline OP
Over on another forum theres a gent claiming that they are still taking applications to test. http://www.mikeholt.com/code_forum/showthread.php?t=82649
Post #25

And a new law went and slipped in there on us, but to date nothing out of the DAS on it yet.

3099.2. (a) (1) Persons who perform work as electricians shall
become certified pursuant to Section 3099 by the deadline specified in this
subdivision. After the applicable deadline, uncertified persons may not
perform electrical work for which certification is required.
(2) The deadline for certification as a general electrician or fire/life
safety technician is January 1, 2006, except that persons who applied for
certification prior to January 1, 2006, have until January 1, 2007, to pass
the certification examination. The deadline for certification as a residential
electrician is January 1, 2007, and the deadline for certification as a voice
data video technician or a nonresidential lighting technician is January 1,
2008. The California Apprenticeship Council may extend the certification
date
for any of these three categories of electricians up to January 1, 2009,
if the council concludes that the existing deadline will not provide persons
sufficient time to obtain certification,
enroll in an apprenticeship or
training program, or register pursuant to Section 3099.4.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/05-06/bill/asm/ab_2901-2950/ab_2907_bill_20060930_chaptered.pdf

Now if everyone could read carefully.... Residential and General deadline 1-1-07, but resi might (at thier whim) be extended to 2009....

Mark Heller
E
e57 Offline OP
Oh I forgot this..... (Scanning for more changes.)

It seems the DAS forgot it too....

3099a(4) On or before July 1, 2001, establish and adopt regulations to enforce
this section.

It's been in the law for a long long time - it's just so easy to forget it's there... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
There is no penalty for electricians working without certification. No penalty whatsoever. The FAQ section at the DAS website says this in no uncertain terms.

This is like the Y2K scare, forget about it and move on...

L
LK Offline
"This is like the Y2K scare, forget about it and move on..."

What does Y2K have to do with the enforcement of electrical contracting regulations and laws?

Forget about what, the effort to regulate an industry, and bring it up to a professional level?

Test, and examine applicants for a level knowledge in the trade?

Leave the consumers exposed to contractors that can't meet the standards.

S
I had some questions answered regarding Fire Life Safety Certification. Pay special note to question 4. It would seem to me the that the state would set the hierarchy of Certification, but what do I know. These responses are official state responses. I don't know how to bold or italisize this stuff, so I hope you can differentiate between the questions and answers without too much trouble. I quote:

1) I have a City Inspector office asking if the deadline for FLS is going to be extended?

There are no further extensions for FLS.

2) A General Contractor is trying to put a system in place to watch dog their subs that install the FLS but needs to know if the January 1, 2007 is going to hold true?

Yes, January 1, 2007 all electricians working for a C10 contractor must be certified.

3) The other question the GC had is if they find uncertified FLS and turn them in to DAS/ECU will anythng happen to the person and the company as of today?

We do not have Enforcement at the State level. However, we would like to know information as to who these people are if they are working without being certified. And on our website this is the information we request: The individual who is not certified will be considered illegally working. By January 2007 all electricians working for a C10 contractor must be certified. If certification is not valid and there is fraud, please submit in writing the following information for review.

- Complainant’s name

- Date of Complaint

- The name of the person they are complaining about

- Type of Complaint

- The complaint stated in detail

- If the Complainant knows who the person’s employer is

- What classification is that person working as(General Electrician, Residential, Fire/Life Safety, VDV, NRLT)

- Address (if any)

- Phone # (if any)

- If the person is still employed

4) The last question is if an Electrician took the "General Electrician" (GE) test and passed can that individual work FLS installations and be covered by the GE certification.

This depends on the employer to determine what type of certification is required to do the job. Some employers may require a specialized certificate from the individual verses a general one.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Nice.
I've run a little FA conduit before, have
never installed a Fire Alarm System in my life, & truly know very little about them...

Now CERTIFIED as a journeyman to go tear into any alarm system in the State, if an employer says it's OK.

I've reached a new level of incompetence. [Linked Image]

Quote by LK "Forget about what, the effort to regulate an industry, and bring it up to a professional level?"

I can't have a reasonable debate with someone who believes our industry needs more regulation or that our industry is not a profession.

As a free thinker, I learned a long time ago that you can never win an argument with someone who believes more government will solve our problems.

LK, are you a C-10 licensed contractor in California?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard