ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#73790 01/02/07 11:26 PM
B
BigB Offline OP
Went to look at a 200 amp upgrade job today and found two 2 wire (with ground) Romexes being used as multiwire circuits. The black and the white were the two lines and the bare was the neutral. Looked like it was done at construction, 30 year old house out in the sticks.

S
I've definitely never seen that before!

Another reason why I hate multi wire circuits!! [Linked Image]

O.k., brace for a "blast" from iwire!! [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
Not that I ever think that was code, what were the loads they were feeding?

G
This sort of thing happens when a guy screws up the rough and finds it at trim. Instead of admitting it and eating the backcharge for drywall and paint they cheat.
My wife caught some 3 ways wired the same way, using the bare as a current carrying conductor.

Greg Fretwell
I
Another reason why I hate multi wire circuits!!
O.k., brace for a "blast" from iwire!!

I don't like any mis-wired circuit.

Really wondering how you would wire a electric dryer or range?

Those are both multiwire branch circuits. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-03-2007).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I
It would not surprise me if some of the projectors you use require multi wire branch circuits.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
T
An electrician who is uncomfortable running MWC's -- Kind of like a doctor who is afraid of using his stethescope. It must be very un-nerving dealing with that great big service entrance MWC while doing a panel changout. Probly not wiring many large homes either. I'd like to see some of the home runs in said installations, and the bid...

Cat Servant
When I was young, wet behind the ears, and had just moved out "on my own," I rented a room in a house that housed several such as I.

My 'introduction' to the trade came when a very upset man appeared one day, looking for one of the other residents. He had hired the guy to do some electric work in his new home, he said, and the guy did something wrong, that 'blew up' hs TV set.

Later, in the course of my work, I was introduced to properly trained, real electricians. The bits and pieces I told of the story made no sense to them.

With hindsight, of course it was not something the 'real' guys had ever dealt with; they had been taught right, and had not done what this self-taught self-appointed "electrician" had done - they had never left an open (or loose) neutral.

Much as I value saving money myself, I draw the line at 'cheating.' I don't hire the local 'aw shucks' guy to do my brakes; nor do I try to do my own haircuts! So many of the problems we encounter (and the pictures we post) are the result of someone trying to 'beat the system.'

It is one thing, in dire circumstances, to try to "McGyver" something; quite another to make such "self-reliance" one of your lifes' basic principles.

D
Well said Reno

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard