ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
I
ITO Offline
“Debbie Drew, the spokeswoman, said Zagami built his home on National Grid’s easement and ignored its repeated warning to stop.”

“I spent everything I had,” said Chris Zagami, who invested up to $70,000 of his own money and took out a $290,000 construction loan to build the 1,700-square-foot home just 27 feet from giant overhead 345,000-volt transmission lines owned by National Grid.

Sorry this story just plain stinks, there is something not right about this.

1) 1,700 square foot home for $360,000? Any he built it himself to boot!!!

2) He built the house on the easement? Either he should fire his surveyor or sue him…unless he did not use one. How do you get a construction loan past the bank, building a house on a utility easement? How do you get a permit past city planning, building on a utility easement?

[This message has been edited by ITO (edited 12-30-2006).]

101° Rx = + /_\
L
LK Offline
"1,700 square foot home for $360,000? Any he built it himself to boot!!!"

The reason it's so cheap for the 1,700sq is because he built it himself.

One up the street from me is just under 1,500sq and it went for 425,000, buyers were fighting to get it.

I have a feeling he was building that home, to put it on market, then when the problems arose, Oh it's my home!

Searching Lindsey St, N Attleboro, MA on Google maps hybrid shows 3 houses pretty darn close to those HV lines...

Satellite view of house

Click the link and look towards the top of the map..

I wonder if Bob's found this place yet, or if he's still impeding on Les' gravy work in the Garden State [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Lostazhell (edited 12-30-2006).]

G
I have a big power line behind my house that I think is one 250kv and a couple at a smaller voltage. I can get some pictures if you want a better guess.
The bottom line is I tried every urban legend anyone could come up with (coils, long wires between the poles, vertical antennas etc). I never got an F40 tube to glow and I was up on the right of way. If I could have made it work it would be lighting my boathouse tonight.

This story sounds like BS to me

Greg Fretwell
W
The reason it's so cheap for the 1,700sq is because he built it himself.

Sounds expensive to me

W
WFO Offline

State officials confirmed yesterday there are no state laws with guidelines on how close homes can be to transmission lines.

Actually, there ARE laws. NERC, the National Electrical Regulatory Commission (excuse me if I got the acronym wrong.....they tend to blend together) has become the de facto enforcement arm of FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission). They will be enforcing transmission line requirements set forth by FERC. One of these (very popular at the moment due to the last big outage in the Northeast) is the mandate to keep the right of way clear under the lines. They aren't worried about this guy because he's the one in violation. The utility will end up getting fined, NOT for this guy getting shocked, but for allowing him to be under the line.

[This message has been edited by WFO (edited 12-30-2006).]

S
^^
The way I see it happening is the POCO and state will wind up paying this guy his 350k (or the majority of that amount) and that'll be that. If the state wrongly issued him a permit to build there, well then it can hardly be the owners fault for building the house. We will see what happens.

S
Assuming that the sat photo is recent, then he has to be one of the two houses just below the easement. It appears that both houses are about equally close to the lines. I don't see why it would be a problem for one, and not for the other.

There are none of those problems at these places . The tower carries 500KV, and the homes are elevated about 80' above the base of the tower on a hillside.

I'm not buying his story

Electure,
I find something off-hand about that picture.
Reason I say this is because no Power Company as far as I am aware, would let trees grow, where they could fall onto live lines.
Over here, even with 110kV or 220kV them trees would be cleared way out of the way of them lines.
We do the same things with 33 and 66kV lines.
That picture looks to be Photo-shopped to me.
Anyone else have that feeling?.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard