ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
S
I feel REALLY BAD for this guy. That has got to be almost the worst feeling in the world. Check out this from one report:

The building inspector who issued the permit no longer works for the town.
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=174189

L
LK Offline
John,

Looks like the build out was poorly planned, or they just decided to save money, either way the consumer pays.

They have a series of problems that are contributing to the stray, poor soil conditions, around the sub station, return path problems, and under built area distribution.

I
John,

That wire going between the columns wasn't there before.

It's caution tape.

From the Boston Herald

The electric currents running through the two-story home are considered so potentially harmful that the town’s fire department has strung “caution” tape around the house while an electrical inspector has refused to issue a final permit out of fear someone might get electrocuted.

I have meet the electrical inspector a few times, he is a good guy. I doubt he is involved in any shenanigans.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Cat Servant
OK, Bob ... I will suspend my cyncism for the time being ....

just 27 feet from giant overhead 345,000-volt transmission lines owned by National Grid.

Now THATS just ridiculous.... I feel for this guy being out all this $$$$, but someone should've caught this before ground was ever broken... especially if he's building into the poco easement...

S
But National Grid shot back yesterday that Zagami, who purchased his Lindsey Street property last year - long after the electric towers were constructed - built his house on its easement and even ran underground water pipes through the easement without first consulting the company.

“It’s unfortunate that he brought this on himself,” said National Grid spokesman David Graves.

But....

State officials confirmed yesterday there are no state laws with guidelines on how close homes can be to transmission lines.

S
Perhaps these stray currents are coming from an underground copper water pipe. But that doesn't explain the currents on doorknobs.

L
LK Offline
"someone should've caught this before ground was ever broken... especially if he's building into the poco easement..."

I think that someone left the inspection department in November according to the news report.

In the area i am in, they are not to build anything on the easement, but they do, storage sheads, above ground pools, even extend sun rooms into the right of way, and of course no permits, you don't get permits when your building on a right of way, then they complain when they do work in their right of way, and damage anything.

He can just change the door knobs to glass knobs, insulate to plumbing, and use only A Lamps. [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
I am wondering how all that construction took place without the problem being discovered. Whatever is electrifying doorknobs would also electrify scredrivers and power tools, I would think.

I'm curious as to exactly what is 27 ft. from the house. The property line? The wires themselves?

Moreover ... don't those lines "hum?' I didn't hear any on that news tape.

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 12-30-2006).]

L
Wonder if he can get a contractor to move his house out of that enormous emf feild? Maybe the lot his home sits on isn't big enough?

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard