ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
1. The only dictionary existant at the time of the Boston tea party would have been Dr. Johnson's [1755]; but he was still writing it in 1746. Besides, even a proof copy of such a weighty tome would have probably caused a minor tsunami had the rebels the strength to heave it over the gunwales*. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy to hand right now, but his spelling was bloody pathetic as well! 'Physicks' was one I remember.

2. United States is presactly what it says on the label. Otherwise, it would be just America and Texas!

3. As to losing England and NZ in Wyoming, while a laudable notion, it's just plain silly. We'd find them both straight away, by all the whining, carping and tutting coming from the long grass!

Alan

edit, after looking up date of the BTP!
[ Afficionados of Blackadder will remember that Baldrick burnt the original by mistake, forcing Blackadder to rewrite the whole thing in one night! ].

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 12-26-2006).]

Wood work but can't!
H
What about a national certificate of compentency. If I have a NCC then I can go in to a area or city that accepts the NCC buy a local license and work.
The best of both worlds. The city gets to sell a license and I only have to to take tests in areas that do not accepts the NCC.The major selling point of the NCC is one must document continuing education on the NEC to renew thge NCC.
I can remember the National Board of Electrical Examaners late 80's early 90's I did see it in EC&M magazine.I did take and pass the journeymans test it cost $150.00 and wag good for 3 years.The organization did not last long enough for me to renew my license.I think it was only accepted in 5 states at the most.The key to getting anything to work is the sponsering organizations creditibility. I think that perhaps a national industral electrical might be a good thing this would help the road whores who work the powerhouse and petro-chemical construction and shutdown circuit.With a industrial license you would have to be under the supervision of a engineering staff and you could not work outside of the power and petro-chemical industry.

E
e57 Offline
Trumpy check out this gent , from what I understand, you are very correct in the thinking that we were not going to continue speaking the "Queens English", put her on our money as the rest of thier former colonies, fork in left hand up-side down - knife in right, or drive on the left. (Traitors and spies were found out due to this 'fork in hand' type of thing way back in the Revolution. -says the common American myth.)Or any of those other tell-tale English subtleties. As far as 'United' goes, you'll just have to think of where the EU got thier examples from.... The United (Nation) States of America. Some of them would like to suceed, and some wish others would..... [Linked Image] There are still political parties who maintain the adgenda, and dedicated to the division of State and Federal rights and responcabilities. Calling the US a single nation is a mis-nomer in some minds....

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 12-27-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
If you really start looking at where federalism started you have to go back to the end of the civil war and the 14th amendment. That still was only seen as giving rights to individuals until the 60 and 70s when the courts started ruling that section 1 gave people the "right" to be oppressed by the federal government. We are all "victims" of things the feds think are too dangerous for us. Things that were reserved for the states started becoming federal issues with things like the drug war, the EPA, BATF and the afore mentioned national speed limit. Now all americans have the right to go to jail for unconstitutional federal laws. Ain't we lucky!

Greg Fretwell
Trumpy Offline OP
OK,
To be honest I like what hypress has to say.
What really gets me up in arms when anyone has an idea, is the fact that the City will try and implement it, but with lots of people that have nothing to do, as in, it will not be implemented properly.
I am not saying strip the cities of their jurisdiction, but implement what is going on, better.
Sure there will be arguments and there will be whinging and screaming.
A National Licence is the next way forward, why fight it?.
Only the honest Electricians will apply, and that gives you leverage.
Handyman anyone?. [Linked Image]

I
Mike I respectfully suggest your looking at it backward.

A National License is the next way forward, why fight it?.

I do not believe many electricians would fight against it. I would gladly test for a National license.

The problem is who will fight for it?

What organization will pay the bill to lobby Congress for it. (Money is what makes Congress act)

Lets assume some National agency decided it was time for a National license.

What leverage would they use to get each state to agree?

As has been pointed out in many cases the Federal Govt literally has to blackmail each individual state into agreement on most any issue.

I think if you lived here you would have a better idea of the resistance of each individual state to compromise with another.

Keep in mind many states do not even have State electrical licensing yet.

JMO, waiting for my National License Application, Bob

Edit Spelling

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 12-31-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
P
As has been pointed out in many cases the Federal Govt literally has to blackmail each individual state into agreement on most any issue.

And if my time spent living and traveling in America is anything to go by, a great many people have a huge distrust of the Feds getting involved with anything, and would much rather see control (for licensing or anything else) retained locally than to have it handed over to the Federal Govt.

G
There are plenty of areas in "flyover" states that have no building departments to enforce a national license and they don't want any. It is very common out in the country to see a sign "building permits required beyond this point" when you enter a city. Out of town you are on your own. I bet the stats are not any worse there than they are in the city. I guess residents out in the sticks are smart enough not to screw with the wirenuts on a flying splice.

Greg Fretwell
E
yup, I doubt there's many EC's out there big enough to foot the bill for a lobbying company, and if there are any I doubt they're really motivated to do it. Some companies do have a ridiculous amount of lobbying power, for example the national dairy council (or whatever it's called) managed to lobby the FDA to include dairy as a bigger portion of the ridiculous "food pyramid" along with the grain farmers and meat and poultry producers [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Elviscat (edited 12-31-2006).]

Cat Servant
Speak of it, and it shows up.....

I just returned from renewing my local journeyman card. Lo and behold, there WILL be changes made by this time next year....

Reno has adopted ICC certification. Also recognised in the Las Vegas area, getting the ICC card will allow me to work statewide without the need for additional certifications.

For that matter, it will be recognised anywhere else that has adopted ICC certification.

As an already credentialed journeyman, I will not have to take a test; there are some paperwork hoops to jump through, though. The new card will be good for 3 years, and include a photo ID.

There is a requirement for some continuing education, be it from ABC, IBEW, IAEI, or others.

I'm not sure if this is a good, or bad thing. It came to me completely 'out of the blue.' It does, however, seem to be creating a sort of "national certification." It also looks to be avoiding all the mess our western neighbor (California) created with their attempt at certification.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard