ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
LK Offline
"On the down side, could you imagine trying to get something inspected, you would have to call on someone from the federal electrical inspection agency"

Ann, not to worry, you could buy a permit at the post office, then train the postal carriers to do inspections, this way they could do the inspections on their route.

E
e57 Offline
Funny, I grew up where Iwire is, and currently live where Electure lives... I didn't go back for that reason, and its freezing COLD there! A few other reasons too... But when I started the trade here, if I went back, I would have to start over again. (If I knew the right people... as the saying goes with the crooked nose crowd - it could have been easier.)

But I can drive all across the country with a single drivers license, and be required to get one in what ever state after I appear to develop residency there. (CA is 90 days) The money is all green, toilets all turn the same way when flushed and we all drive on the right side of the road, and for the most part we all speak the same language... I can also take your order at any Jack in the Box nation-wide.... But if I want to work as an electrician, or contract in another state - that's where it gets squirly! In my sincerest opinion this HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH STANDARDS!

IT HAS TO DO WITH EXCLUSION!

Sorry for shouting.... the subject tweeks me...

As standards go we are all pretty much on similar levels, similar codes with some exception and do similar work, practices vary only slightly - except for Chicago, and that is a case in point IMO. But really this is to reduce or restrict "traveler" employment, and eliminate out-of-state contractors who might follow the work and take the money and leave the state to spend it elsewhere. For the most part that is why these types of laws were enacted - but they did so under the guise of safety, and fear... Much the way California's 'Certification' joke was initiated. Meant to level a playing field within the state and unlevel it for others from outside the state. (A few other shims in thier too for other favoritisms.) Reciprocal agreements are extensions of the same, you're in my 'region' and you can work here, but not them fancy boys from wherever they come from.... Now if say you were an RN (Registered Nurse) they would be saying - "Come on in, sit right down, have some wine, rest your head on this pillow made of money - that is yours to keep for your time. We'll help you prepare for a mandatory test you have to take - but don't worry we have a nice job and we'll find you a nice place to live here too...." Supply and demand - simple. They want nurses.... They don't want other electricians or contractors coming in to take thier work....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
T
I guess it's still very important to make a difference between licensing issues and local codes!
For example, the small country of Austria has got 9 different state construction codes, still, construction workers are allowed to work in all 9 states if they work to local code!
The same is true with PoCo amendments concerning metering and surrounding equipment.
So it IS possible to keep a great deal of local authority while making licensing nationwide!

R
Utah has reciprocal licensing with several states in the West.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
L
I agree with e57. It's a subject that gets under my skin. If you are licensed in MA, you can get a recip license in ME, NH, VT, OR and WA but NOT in RI or CT!! I know the reason is politics but it is crazy! We all take a test based on the "NATIONAL" E.C. (I think) So, like driving thru the country, I think we should be able to work in ANY state with our issued license. If you don't have a license for whatever reason, you are not included. If you move to a particular state, you must get that license within XX months.

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 12-22-2006).]

It will never happen. Dr's, Lawyers, Teachers, Nurse's, businesses and many others i'm sure, all are not under 1 "National" license. How can we think we could be? But I think having a license in 1 state should allow 1 to either waive apprenticeship or be out right reciprocal. A quick review test would be fine. I.E. drivers license test from state to state.

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
G
I am probably the best example of why simply testing people is a bad idea. I always do very well on tests, even if I don't have a clue what I am talking about. If it was just a test I would be a doctor, a lawyer and an indian chief.
Apprentice programs may be intended to control the flow of new people into trades and might be holding back faster learners but they do somewhat guarantee that a person has some real experience and training.

Greg Fretwell
P
Mike,

Perhaps I can chime in here, as I'm somewhat familiar with the American systems (more so than the average Brit anyway), but of course I grew up in the U.K. where many more things are handled at a national level, as I imagine is the case in N.Z.

You have to remember that many more things in the U.S. are done at state, county, and even city level than in most other countries. For example, because sales tax is handled locally, you might pay a 5% tax in one particular state, then each county can add its own 1 or 2%, and cities can then add tax too, so you might pay 8% in this town, 7.5% in the next town, 7% in the rest of the county, only 6% in the next county over, and so on. That's a big contrast to the typical system elsewhere where the same rates apply right across the country.

Remember too that the U.S. Constitution specifically states that powers not explicitly assigned to the Federal govt. are reserved to the individual states and the people.

Hence Bob's example:
Anything that happens on a national basis is usually done by force.

The seatbelt laws are a good example. The Feds wanted it, many States did not. So the Feds said OK, if you do not pass a seat belt law in your state we will cut off millions of dollars in highway funds.

And as somebody who thinks that the seatbelt laws have absolutely no place in a free society and has opposed them ever since they were introduced, I see that as nothing but legalized blackmail.

As I understand it, the same happened with the "double nickel." The Feds had no legal authority to order individual states to enforce a 55 mph speed limit, so they resorted to threats of withdrawing federal funding for any state which failed to comply.

I believe that at least one or two places (Kansas for one?) enforced the 55 limit to keep funding, but set the fine for exceeding 55 (but not over the old limit) to a paltry $5.

Also, just remember how vast the U.S.A. is compared to the U.K., New Zealand, or many other countries, e.g. although the populations are vastly different, the entire land area of the U.K. would fit comfortably within the single state of Wyoming.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-24-2006).]

Trumpy Offline OP
Interesting Paul,
I can't see why it is called the United States of America, when there seems to be no unity whatsoever.
They don't like metrics or the way other English speaking countries spell thier words, like Colour {Color}, or Light {Lite}.
Not Queens English at all.
When they poured the tea into the harbour, they must have tossed all the dictionaries in there as well!.

{Please take this post as tongue-in-cheek as it was written, it's only a joke.} [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard