ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
e57 Offline OP
Home Magazines: Often packed with quirky ideas of home improvement for the self-destructing HO. Some are better than others in self-censorship of just plain bad ideas, and others just let it all hang out. And in the past I have sent off a few letters to some about code violations and the like - but given the nature of thier material, one would think that they have some sort of editorial staff to vet out the weak or dangerous, or ill concieved. Or some that should be included with far more detail, so as not to confuse people who are inherently confused... But nonetheless, they keep coming.... Whats worse is that professionals are out there putting possibly neat or useful ideas out to the public in an ill-concieved, and haphazard way. This idea below is a prime example of a good idea that can go real badly in the hands of the wrong person. That said, there are not very many 'right' people for this little project.

What say you?
[Linked Image from markhellerelectric.com]
Ref: Jan '07 Fine Homebuilding pg. 128

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
L
LK Offline
Wow, what a great arson tool!

R
Ron Offline
Imagine a bunch of charging devices at the same time with the drawer closed.

Lots of heat [Linked Image] .

Ron
E
e57 Offline OP
Would you say misuse of listed product as premis wiring and subject to physical damage? After all we dont know what "Flex Coil" is - DO WE?

Mark Heller
I can see the drawer-mounted box being smashed by a wrongly measured drawer, and a couple of power strips in that drawer too.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
E
e57 Offline OP
The only way I can legaly (through 400.7) see an installation in this manner would be with 14 or 12/3 SOW, proper strain reliefs (90 degree on both), with metal boxes and non-concentric/eccentric KO use. And that would still call into play accessibilty of the box behind it depending on cabinet design. And the drawer would need to have some sort of limiting device. Even then I would opt for some sort of disconnecting method. And still I would have to get the AHJ to buy off on it. As it would look very much like a home-made extention cord I would doubt it.

Mark Heller
Funny, I was thinking about SO when I saw that.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
G
More likely what happens is someone sees that dishwasher receptacle under the kitchen counter, screws a plugstrip to the back of a drawer in the area and cubetaps it in with the DW. (perhaps a orange cord to make it reach). Hopefully they strain relieve the cable and secure it out of the tracks and up out of the cabinets.
Certainly SJT would be the minimum allowable cord but SO is more appropriate. I imagine you can find some "curly coil" SJT lookalike somewhere but it will probably be listed as fixture wire not building wire.

Greg Fretwell
I
ITO Offline
Looks like a great idea for someone to make, patent and get a UL for this use, then it would fine…right?

101° Rx = + /_\
E
if someone made a UL listed assembly, maybe included a big warning sticker on drawer "do not charge more than X appliances, make the drawer removable, put a molded recpt. in the back, have it plug into an EC installed receptile behind the drawer, and I think it could work

I agree that it's unlikely for someone to do this in a code compliant, <i> safe </i> manner as it's drawn

Just my dos centavos
-Will

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard