ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#72773 12/09/06 12:01 PM
W
Hi All,
I am going through the thought process of a career change. I am very interested in apprenticing and I have no previous elec experience...other than Do-it-yourself stuff. I was curious about some of the members thoughts on how realistic I am being...I am 42yo and am thinking maybe No-one would be interested in bringing on a man of my age. The market seems pretty hot in this area. Would appreciate a few opinions.

Thanks

#72774 12/09/06 01:01 PM
M
"If it feels good do it" John Lennon.

#72775 12/09/06 01:48 PM
J
I hired a 42 year old apprentice a few years ago. He's still with me and doing great. He was an experienced hvac installer who was very unhappy with his company and the hvac in general. Personally the age would be no factor at all. Do you have construction experience?

John Erickson
#72776 12/09/06 01:58 PM
W
No construction experience other than working in my own place doing Hardwood floors and some drywalling.

#72777 12/09/06 02:10 PM
L
Good luck Wrangler, you would not be the first and surley not the last older apprentice. Good luck if you decide to do so.

Luke

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#72778 12/09/06 02:45 PM
Cat Servant
I saw an apprenticeship class that started with 50 .... and, four years later, had dwindled to 18. The three oldest members were there at the finish.

Indeed, one of them had not been officially 'sponsored,' and had to pay his own way. He worked for a non-member EC, and ... silly as this sounds... had his EC license before he could get a "journeyman" card.

I don't know what it is that folks fear about an "older" apprentice. Heck, I was past 30 before I was ready to actually start learning!

A man doesn't reach 40 sitting on his hands. He's had to learn SOMETHING. Nor is he overwhelmed by teen-age hormones. I am a bit tired of seeing newbies who seem to think that the purpose the contractor exists is to provide them with more, more, more.

#72779 12/09/06 03:12 PM
T
Well, to generalize a little, I actually prefer older guys and have come to dislike the 18-32 year old crowd. There are a lot of benefits to older guys. My personal list is:

1. they don't argue with you as much (yes, Mr.22 year old, I wasn't really "asking you" to do x,y, or z, I was TELLING YOU, and I don't want to hear any backtalk other than "yes" out of your mouth about it..)

2. 42 year olds have enough time in the general workforce that there is a greater likelyhood they have learned how to show up on time at the start of the day, with their shoes tied, fly zipped, and with all their tools ready to work.

3. Absenteeism is less a problem. Older guys are married, have mortgages, kids, responsibilites... Less likely to disappear on you due to a hangover, car-ran-out-of-gas, or financial problems or stormy/unstable personal lives.

As I see it, an employer could pick you up just as you enter the best years you have to offer the workforce, because at 42 you have probably mastered the "soft job skills" (show up on time, don't stand around while you are on the clock, shut the personal cellphone off,.. etc. etc..) that it is so damn hard to teach 20 year olds due to their immaturity & general inexperience in life.

You see, I am ageist too, just opposite the normal current of our times..

If you do start an apprenticeship you will be starting out at the bottom, which can be a tough pill to swallow. I don't know what you have done in previous careers, but the bottom of the electrical trade really is "the bottom"- get ready to get dirty, work with people you may not like, doing things you probably never imaginied were part of an electricians work, and do it with a smile and a good attitude because you will be learning. You'll need to have the patience to let a lot time pass doing dull and seemingly repetative tasks before you have enough of a view of the "big picture" for things to finally click.

In my opinion, patience, soft skills and a good attitude would put you way ahead of the pack, and age isn't really as big a deal, provided you are physically stout enough to handle the more physical aspects of the work.

Good luck in your search

#72780 12/09/06 03:16 PM
L
Nor is he overwhelmed by teen-age hormones.

Oh yeah, I remeber going through that a time or few.... [Linked Image]

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#72781 12/09/06 05:29 PM
J
Well said Trollog. I agree with everything. When hiring m 42 year old apprentice, I only needed to teach him electrical. He already understood construction, work relations, customer relations, was very proficient with tools, along with everything else you mentioned. So all we had to focus on was electrical. Not all the incidentals that go with this job.

I asked about construction experience mostly because I was wondering if you know what you're getting into. Keep in mind that the work enviroment will be cold in the winter, hot in the summer, snowy, rainy, etc. Just be sure you're aware of these conditions.

Out of curiosity, what is your current career?

John Erickson
#72782 12/09/06 05:44 PM
W
J_Erickson,

Right now I am a Information Technology Project Manager. Been doing it for 4 years and need a change real bad. Previous to that I was a Manager in Customer Service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard