ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
wendel Offline OP
Would someone kindly point me to a catalog of residential recessed lighting fixtures that are not "thick" (depth? height?). By thick I mean they don't stick up into the ceiling cavity very far. A typical 'can' recessed fixture may go ~6". With 2x6 or 2x8 joists from which the ceiling ia hung, that's not a problem. I'm looking for small lights, most likely halogen, that onlu go maybe 1 to 2 inches into the ceiling cavity. Any thoughts welcomed. This is not a DIY project. I'm just gathering ideas for an architect.

R
REW Offline
3" is about the most shallow you will find.

try this: http://www.cooperlighting.com/specfiles/pdf/RSA/ms5004_05.pdf

Rich
M
1-2" is going to be tough! An MR16 bulb alone is almost 2" tall, and oyu still have to deal with the socket and housing. Ahat is above the ceiling? If it's combustible, you'll need an IC unit, or have to maintain 3" clearance.

Would a "puck" type light work for you? It's not recessed, but is small. I'd use a honeycomb filter on it to reduce glare.

The other option I can think of is Fiber Optics. They certainly would work with your size limitations, at increased costs though. Try: http://www.visual-lighting.com www.fiberstars.com

Here's a few links to get you started with small electric fixures: www.luciferlighting.com www.bklighting.com www.seagulllighting.com

Let us know a more detailed description of your application, and we may be able to help more.

Mike

E
Have the carpenter build you a soffit to install the fixtures within

Earl
D
Originally Posted By earlydean:
Have the carpenter build you a soffit to install the fixtures within

What he said.

B
Nora Lighting has a line called "Solutions". They are small, like under cabinet lighting, and the instructions allow ceiling installation (Non IC). They only require about 3/4". They use a 20 watt lamp.

Link Copied to Clipboard