ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#72679 12/07/06 12:08 AM
T
Tiger Offline OP
Anyone know how to set up motorized curtains for a home theater? The curtains will be floor-to-ceiling 8' X approx. 12' wide.

Dave

#72680 12/07/06 12:27 AM
M
Call your Lutron or Mechoshade rep and talk to them about your application. Both will integrate with a lighting scene controller, like the grafikEye, or can be used with manual pushbuttons. I've heard nothing but good things about the Lutron Sevoia (sp?) setup. I know with them, a guy comes out to do the intitial measurement, etc. Run CLass 2 wiring into the jamb for the motor/controller. Check Lutron's site for more info.

#72681 12/07/06 12:36 AM
J
Do you already have pieces/parts or are you starting from scratch? Are you using a reversable DC, 2 winding AC, or motorized/spring return drive? I find that most folks err in the way they utilize their limit switches in the control scheme. I have never done motorized curtains but you have to consider the same things as with motor operated switches, dampers, louvers, Et,c. Status, if used, should reach open or closed limit first, followed by control limits, with a safety margin before reaching physical limits. One limit shouldn't prevent operation in the other direction and interlocks should be used for dual winding motors.
Joe

#72682 12/07/06 04:05 AM
E
e57 Offline
On this topic I have a real winner "Shade Guy" send this to me, once... And when a say winner, I mean full-blown retard! I asked a GC to get me a spec +/or cut-sheet for some shades at a job, as "Motorized shade" is just not enough on a set of plans... He calls the guy, and 3 days later he sends this...

He sent a pdf file named Stay out of trouble for electricians . The GC reads it over, and contiplated for 2 more days while trying to get this dope to understand what "Specification" meant... (never-mind "cut-sheet") Frustrated with me hounding him as this place was about to rock - gives it to me.... And we both died laughing - its a page out a training manual that Jeff Spiccoli could have written. (And goes to show what that company thinks of Electricians.)

Bottom line is you need to know what manufacturer you are going to be dealing with in very least. (BTW the company listed on that sheet was not what was installed.... [Linked Image] Nor was it wired that way.) And you will need to know the model# and how many motors will be used. They are all pretty different... Sivoia QED is set up with a remote transformer that is operated by key-pads, or other automation. Others will have just a 3-wire from a 3-way switch, some will have double motors large enough for a circuit each... and have a DPDT, and others will need momentary switches. And the list can can go on as they are not standardized.

And a great way for a "Shade Guy" not to get smacked around a job-site is to provide you with a spec or cut-sheet... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#72683 12/07/06 06:37 AM
Dave,
I'm with Mike (mhulbert) on this one.
A curtain opener is not unlike a garage door opener, except it works in a different way.
The principle is the same though, with limit switches and so forth.
I seem to remember John (Reno) talking about knowing things outside of the electrical trade.
This is one of the places that Electrician's should be able to go.
Mechanics and say, servo motors, etc.
You guys should know this stuff, or at least be able to pick it up pretty quickly.
It's all very well being a Master Electrician, but passing an exam is nothing without real world experience.
Prove me wrong.

#72684 12/07/06 01:28 PM
J
e57,

I saw that same set of warnings that came with a motorized screen that dropped out of the ceiling. Interesting business approach to insult the guy that will get much more face time with the customer, therefore much more opportunity to criticize the equipment, and one less person to ever recommend that type of equipment to anyone else.

#72685 12/08/06 08:42 PM
T
I am a Lutron HomeWorks and Shade guy. If you need assistance or are near my area, i will gladly hook a brother up.

#72686 12/08/06 11:44 PM
L
"you must establish firm control over the electrician"

They must really want their shade installers to have a hard time. Fine, give me the wiring diagram then leave me alone. I have the diagram if I screw it up then that's my problem.

The minute they try to establish any control over anything electrical the home owner is going to make a choice of who's staying and who's going. I will not be told how to do my job by someone outside the trade.

Link Copied to Clipboard