ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#71785 11/07/06 05:16 PM
H
Hey everybody. I just joined the electrical trades. I was a refrigeration tech for years, now Ive gotten out and joined a great electrical company. They're sending me to the ABC Tech school? I guess we do commerical, industrial and institutional jobs. Im pretty excited. Do you all like being electrcians still? I just hope I made a good decision - Im pretty excited about it.

#71786 11/07/06 05:34 PM
I
The trade has been good for me and there is always new stuff to work with and learn.

If you have a background in refrigeration you might be well suited to a company that wires and maintains buildings with those systems.

The company I work for spends a lot of time in large supermarkets, few of the electricians understand how all the systems work and need to be wired until they spend a lot of time at it.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#71787 11/07/06 10:13 PM
L
Hello HVACtech, I've been in the trade since 97'. I've been fortunate so far to be involved in a wide array of electrical construction and maintenance senarios. Industrial, commerical and others. Hopefully your new employer will give you the same opportunity.

I try to learn something new every day, (and relearn). You can't learn and retain everything from your apprenticeship. Just stay involved in continuing ed' classes afterwards. Oh, and I know I'm still relatively young compared to most, but I am happy to be an electrician. I like to think that I will still be saying that 20 or so years from now.

I love waking up and going to work. How many people out there in this world can say that?? Best of luck to ya!

Luke

Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#71788 11/07/06 10:32 PM
E
e57 Offline
My early days in the trade were in 3 phase motor controls troubleshooting - reffers, RO units, machinery, generators etc. And I'll tell you that having a broader understanding of operation/installation of other trade equipment is a benifit all around.

I'll also repeat what is said above - that you never stop learning something new. 16 years at it- I still learn more all the time. Those who say they know it all are liars! Your apprenticeship or the trainee classes are only the on-ramp of a long and wide highway that will take some years to travel on beyond your initial training. The pay may not be great the first years, but that comes around as you prove you are worth your weight in salt. My advice would to always ask for whats next. And always continue to broaden your knowledge base.

BTW What state are you in?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#71789 11/07/06 11:39 PM
First off, Welcome to ECN [Linked Image]

I'll second and third Bob, Luke, and Mark above... If you have a thrist for knowledge and learning something new.. You've set foot in the right door. Their are so many facets to the electrical trades, and I recommend over time exploring them all... From Resi construction, resi/commercial/industrial service work, commercial new work/tenant improvements, PLC programming and control work, High Voltage/Linework to industrial Haz 1/Div 1 work (where I'm at right now, AKA the oil fields)and more.... It's hard to get bored with so many options [Linked Image] Best of luck in your endeavors. and as always, feel free to pick the brains of all those who come here... There's hundreds of years of experience right here at your fingertips [Linked Image]

Randy

#71790 11/07/06 11:58 PM
S
Welcome to ECN!

I love being an electrician. I could do without crawling around small crawl spaces, but that's just a part of it. Not every job is going to be standing around, cutting-in 40 circuit panels, or installing single pole switches all day. Some jobs are downright dirty and disguisting. But hey, you're probably used to that enviroment already.

Good luck!

#71791 11/09/06 08:09 AM
H
Thanks for all the info gentlemen. Im in lincoln, NE - the company Im with is called Willmar Electric WES. I start monday. Yeah, IM ready to start learning thats for sure. Ive been working on furnaces, A/C's, W.I Coolers/Freezers and racks for a long time now - and Im glad to close that chapter of my life...for now. I think Ill always dabble in HVAC field here and there occasionaly. Im just glad I wont be called out at 3am anymore for a freon alarm in a HyVee or walmart supercenter deli bunker froze up - thats one of the reasons I got out, i was working 80 hrs plus a week for the last 5 years. I wanted a life somewhat outside of work.

#71792 11/09/06 08:20 AM
E
I do 70+hrs a week and get called out at 3am. I don't think your problem was trade specific, depends on what kind of work your employer does.
Service work does have many benefits like a van to bring home full of tools, gas card, phone etc.

#71793 11/09/06 11:56 AM
S
Haveing completed 5000 hours of a 8000 hour apprenticeship I have worked for a total drunk, and the other who bounces payroll checks. I have done fire restoration,commercial work and bucket truck work. My last employer was a gem but recentley retired because of health reasons. After all this I have decided to leave the trade and go back to machineing. I know with only a year and a half left some would call me foolish. At one time i thought the world of electricians but not anymore. I am so disgusted by what i see that this was a terrible idea.I wish you well and please be safe. At 47 i hope i never have to pick up a linesman pliers again nor twist another wire. The work to me has been disgusting and degradeing.Never have i tried so hard and gotten so little out of a job.My advice would be to stay in school and use your brain.I was a good employee,never late,never sick,never complained about anything, they can keep their lousy attitudes and i look forward to this monday when i start my new job writeing computer programs for CNC machines. What a waste of 2.5 years of my life.
They the electricians took something i was good at wanted to learn about and ruined it.Boxes under a dishwaher with no covers on them, pull wire thru the pipe with a truck,and thats only the beginning. You will make up your own mind. Best of luck to you.
[This message has been edited by steve ancient apprentice (edited 11-09-2006).]

[This message has been edited by steve ancient apprentice (edited 11-09-2006).]

#71794 11/09/06 05:19 PM
H
All I know is I prefer doing this to much anything else. I see a lot of people doing all types of crappy things - most of all my friends that have graduated from college also hate what they do. I have a degree in business finance so hopefully I can make a go at it someday with a business of my own in the electrical field. My uncle is an electrical engineer (15 years now) and he misses the electrical trade (he was a journeyman and master at one time) He said, it was more than a job to him; he liked the friends he made on the job and working on the job. At the moment I cant really think of much else I would want to be doing...except playing guitar for living [Linked Image] But in all seriousness, I would rather be doing this than anything else...I thought long and hard about making this change, and Im glad. Today is my last day of refrigeration work...for the people who like hearing about other people day...this is how it went.

1st Call - Walk In cooler down at Applebes
(Bad defrost clock)

2nd - No heat at Sams Club #2 south deli
(Flame sensor dity on ignition assym)

3rd - Salad case warm at Chilis
(Leak in the evaporator)

4th - Rack Alarm on Hyvee #5
(Liquid injection kit sensor bad, Also head pressure was tripped, air in the condenser.

5th and last...Ice Machine down at Holliday Inn (Thermostat and bridge sensor bad)

That was it fella's...Im done! Wish me luck! Thanks for the advice, keep it comin if you like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard