ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#71351 10/29/06 08:09 PM
J
I think the key to organizing is to limit what you carry. I love to have tons of everything but over the last few months I have been using it all up and just getting better with getting stock for the jobs I am doing and returning whats not used. I have tons of stuff in my garage that just equals wasted money. I am not near my garage when I need it so I end up buying it again.
Inside the van I have a shelf on each side in the rear and behind the drivers seat is open. On the floor are 1 case of 4sq deeps, 1 case of old works, and the power tools.
It is nice having the van open to load stock in for a job. I keep 2 4' ladders inside all the time and limit carring the extension ladders to when I need them. Saves on fuel and so will a lighter van.

#71352 10/29/06 11:22 PM
G
For some more ideas, and to kill a lot of time (and I do mean a lot), check out Pimp My Ride .

There are some good ideas and varied solutions for work trucks. Nowadays, I work out of the back of a little Subaru I buy the gas for, but I'm happy as I can be. [Linked Image]

Read long enough, and you'll see what a pit Bob's van was. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Just George (edited 10-29-2006).]

-George
#71353 10/30/06 12:17 AM
A
I use these Euro bin shelves for devices, trims, & mud rings. It's 2' deep x 4' wide and tall. Not the exact size but you get the idea:
http://www.quantumstorage.com/flat_shelving_euro_drawer_system.htm
I seen them in a few catologs including Granger. They work great but I had to make a door to keep them from opening.

For tools I dont use every day I have a Craftsman bottom tool box. Pay extra for the rollor bearing drawers that dont open unless you lift the handle. It is nice fot protecting the expensive things from the hammers and drill bits. Also it locks.

Some drill / tool boxes are in a steel cabnet with doors and a few shelves.

For some items I bought plastic bins then made shelves to hold the bins. These bins I have fittings that I don't use every day but it is nice to reach in and grab one or take the whole bin full to the work area.

I made a wooden box with # 10 wire handles that holds 6-10 factory boxes of common 1/2" and 3/4" fittings. Those fitting boxes have emptied out on me one too many times while transporting, that's why I like my box.

Everything elce is made out of plywood 2x2 & 2x4's. Wood keeps the raddels down but can add some weight. Wood is easy to work with unless you try to use too small of pieces. For small light duty shelves it is put together with glue and a trim nail gun. The side walls are 3/8 with foam insulation behind to keep the walls from sweating and warmer inside. Some 3/4 is used for holding the pipe racks. 2' PVC tubs are held upright with 1 holes to hold the benders.

Bigger plastic bins are used for bulky items like nipples.

One bin is for the special ordered items waiting to be installed.

2 ladders slide in their own place while the smaller ones are straped in.

Everything cairred should have it's own place. More used items should be easier reached. Similar items should be grouped together.

Building custom shelves took us a lot of time and was an ongoing project. I do fell we have a better setup then the stock steel units.

#71354 10/31/06 08:15 PM
C
Little stock, lots of tools and enthusiasm.

Your level of enthusiasm doesn't even compare to someone else we know that drinks alot of caffeine heavy beverages. [Linked Image]

What's in your van CT?

Oh yeah you don't have one.

Yup, and I don't want one either. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 10-31-2006).]

Peter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard