ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7111 01/21/02 10:34 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Anyone ever service a chandelier lift? I'm going to look at one that doesn't work. 4 years old only used a couple times a year. I'm thinking fuse, but I haven't been into one yet. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks.

S
Redsy,
a what?
[Linked Image]

R
Redsy Offline OP
Spark,

It is a motorized lift for fixtures installed in 2-story foyers. It allows you to lower a chandelier to clean it or change bulbs. Try this site---http://www.wilshiremfg.com/lift.html

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 01-22-2002).]

S
!!!! well i'll be dipped in s***, to think of all the staging i've hauled around.... [Linked Image]

Hunh... Now what will they think of next?

(Wow no more service calls to change bulbs in hard-to-reach places...)

How much does one of those cost?

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
Redsy Offline OP
Cost depends on model. Retail $700.-1,200. Plus installation. I haven't installed one yet, but lots of the new upscale homes are opting to have one installed during construction. I imagine another $500. or so.
BTW,
in my area the cost to clean a chandelier in a 2 story foyer is around $250.00.

W
Is that the same thing these 4wheelers put on their pickup trucks and call it a winch??
[Linked Image]
Looks like a good idea to me.

F
I have installed a few of these. The last one was a 1000lb. capacity. They are a real expensive luxury item. They can be tricky to adjust. If you don't get the limits set to stop when the fixture is against the ceiling they can pull the canopy right through the sheet rock.

T
I have installed a few of these and once you do one or so it becomes pretty easy. I have installed them in existing homes and that is tough. If you do one in an existing home be sure to check the trusses there is no doubt you will have to fabricate a few things but it can be done.

I can tell you a few things about them. First if it is not working it is either the limit switch (like Fred said) or the breaker for the motor circuit. If it has been working for a few years it can only be a couple things. The limit switch is located above the octagon box and below the pully system. All the ones I have installed (back three yrs or so) have an extra limit switch right next to the one in use. Just change the wires from one to the other. There should only be one switch in operation for the system because there is a low voltage key switch to bring it down so you limit the lowering yourself.
There should be two wiring methods to this system. One being the motor and the other coming from the chandelier swithc itself. My guess it is either the limit or the motor breaker.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.

By the way be prepared to stand on your head to do the limit switch. I would take up a flashlight, a pair of Kleins, and a screwdriver, with a tester. should be all you need. I is going to be in a very poor location for you.

R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks for the input. It looks like the control circuit board is bad. I jumped out the limit switch & key switch terminals, and the relays for the motor do not energize. It is supposedly a Genie brand, but the housing & ckt.board say "Evco".
I will try to track down a replacement today.

Link Copied to Clipboard