ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I dont know if any of you ran accross this as a apprentice but my former employer has not signed off on my hours yet. I was with him about a year and as i have all the hours and places i worked at stored in my computer for each and every day. I have sent him the form,delivered one personally and still no reply. I thought I left on good terms but i guess he is still upset that I left. I even gave him a 2 weeek notice. He keeps saying he will get arouind to it. It would not bother me if it was a couple of hundred hours but its almost 1900 hours. What did you guys do in a case like this, Any advice would be appreciated,
Steve

Cat Servant
First, I would have your program director call him- see what happens.

Finally, at the last possible minute, sign -forge- the blessed thing on his behalf. That is, in tha space provided for his signiture, sign it "OBO John Smith."

What will he do? Claim forgery? Well, where's the theft? You DID work the hours. You DID give him opportunity. Surely he's not disputing the figures? Would he try to claim he has a right to deprive you of your factual history?

V
Anyone on the state level you can talk to? Meaning someone at the department of labor who might give you an idea of what you can do about this? I would love to come up with some brilliant idea but it's been a long week. You aren't the first nor the last to deal with this issue, as you know.

Pete
I
I have no idea what a 'Program Director' is and I certainly advise against any sort of 'forgery' on your part.

I would go to the licensing authority in your area.

Here where I am a license holder is required to keep track of and report apprentice hours. That license holder puts their license at risk if they do not follow the laws.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I
Steve I forgot you where a MA resident.

How's the BigE? [Linked Image]

Anyway the rule is CMR 237 18.01:3

(3) All persons, firms, and corporations engaging in or working at the business of installing wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances for carrying electricity for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes and employing learners and apprentices shall keep, or cause to be kept, accurate and detailed records of such employment for no less than seven years and shall permit the Board or its agents to inspect and copy such records upon request.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
Every guy I've ever talked to who has changed employers has had difficulties getting their time from old employers. All of them. I took a cue from them, and had my affidavit ready when I gave notice. I waited to give notice until I had my time in. Then, I walked in with the form, had the boss sign them, and then blindsided him with a resignation letter.

Uncouth? Perhaps. Effective? Darn tootin'. [Linked Image]

-George
S
Thanks for all your input. My new boss said that even though he wont sign off on the hours you can go to the division of apprentice trainning and they will get the ball rolling.One call from them and that will do it. Its a last resort but it works. I"ll get it signed one way or another. Yes I live in West Springfield and the traffic is still a little bad here. Today sunday is the last day. Thanks for all your help. You guys ( and gals) are the best of the best that I have met since being in this field.New boss is just a gem. Looking forward to finishing out my last 1.5 years with him. TO ALL OF YOU BE SAFE OUT THERE 111111

S
This is where an "Apprentice Training Logbook" would have helped. You record your hours in the book and work you did, then get your boss to sign it on a monthly basis.

Some information: http://www.cnc.bc.ca/apprenticetoolkit/record.htm

A sample of what the book should contain: http://www.cnc.bc.ca/apprenticetoolkit/pdf/recordbook.pdf

Hope this helps.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
How about showing your pay stubs to a notary public and having him sign a declaration to the effect.

J
Call the board they will make him do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard