ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
C
http://classifieds.tdworld.com/ar/power_electronic_meter_technician/index.htm

the link brings you to an advertisement for a job opening. it sounds to me like what they want is someone to work for free.

G
The pay does not seem to meet the qualifications they are asking for. Before I started the apprecticeship I drove Class B trucks. I know of people with Class A licenses who make more than the starting pay on that job and don't know a thing about electrical.

Then again, if you've been out of work a long length of time, even $16 an hour looks good. Each to their own though.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

L
LK Offline
"$16.15 - $24.50/DOQ. Excellent benefits."

With the benifits, your talking about total earnings of about $37 an hour, pretty good.

Run, don't walk to that job.

D
I would think without knowing what the cost of living is down there, it would be hard to tell whether this is good pay or not.

It may be one of the best paying jobs in that area, I dunno know.....

G
That is pretty good bucks for Florida if the benefits are real. That is the wild card. Your health care alone could make several hundred bucks a month difference in take home pay depending on how good the plan is.

Greg Fretwell
L
Ft Pierce is 20 minutes North of me, thats a decent paying job in this area at $16, at $24 it is a great job. The median HOUSEHOLD income for this area is only in the 35K range.

A
In my not so humble opinion, any job that puts a person close to High Voltage will shorten your life, Period. Too much money has been spent to produce research "findings" that claim HV is safe, but any job, from lineman to meter tech, that requires you to enter substations on a regular basis, will get you in the end. There is more info in my Miller welder op manual concerning the dangers of electric fields than I have ever seen in Electrical Contractor or EC&M. Beware of it folks, how many old linemen do you know tyhat worked on the hot stuff until they retired? ask one of them how many of his buddies died from cancer or heart disease???

Cat Servant
Almost... I have an Uncle who did just that- worked the lines until retirement. Sure, there is danger, just as in any task. For what really gets you, perhaps the military has some guidance....

Somehow, 'reserve' formations have much higher casualty rates than "line" ones, and the "super troopers" have the lowest rates of all. This is in spite of the fact they get the scariest jobs.
The difference lies in attitude, training, and preparation.

Even though HV accidents provide us with lots of dramatic pics, far more are hurt by ordinary, plain Jane household power. Look closely at the numbers, and most of these folks had no business playing with the wiring. Another good chunk was taking silly, unnecessary risks.

I will say that another combat rule applies to accidents: if you survive your "baptism," you'll likely go on forever. Again, statistics bear out that a very large share of accidents occur at defined points in one's career- and most of these times are when you're realtively new to the trade.

Getting back on topic.... it seems to me that the qualifications they want are quite different from what the job title implies. Do they want a HV lineman- or a meter reader?

Almost Fried,
I also know personally of a lot of HV line-workers that retired fit and well, some in thier 60's.
I'm an ex-Live-line worker and I only got out of it because of better oppurtunities in another field.
I'd go back to it again, should I have to, I really can't see where half of these scare-tactics come from, HV is not dangerous to those that work with it day-in, day out.
As Reno said above, when people start making un-calculated guesses, that's when things start to go wrong.
To work on a 66kV circuit live, takes a LOT of forward planning, planning during the job at hand and a de-brief afterwards.
Being silly during a job like that, will often end somebodies life.
We are all professionals, hence we were all subject to regular tests for cancers and the like, our health was monitored.
Personally I think that the biggest risk was from all the X-rays we had to have done.

Link Copied to Clipboard