ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 279 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Tiger Offline OP
Anyone know of a high quality (one that lasts) residential coach light with a built-in photosensor?

Thanks,
Dave

A
Dave
Your question is an oxymoron, or at least a contradiction of terms. All the coach lights with integral motion detectors and or photocells are of Chinese mfg. and subject to work until they quit. Lightning arrestors at the panel help, 130 volt bulbs help, but a remote mounted, domestically mfg. photoocell that is not pointing at the sun is the most practical solution. Photocells are light sensitive(Duuuhh!) devices and the fine print suggests not placing them on the sunny side of the structure. The fixtures that contain the devices offer no protection or warning to the installer that sunlight will cause the pc to fail.

R
Any way possible you could install a separate photo-eye to control the coachlights? That way you may have any fixture of your choice, and if the photo eye that you install elsewhere fails, you can replace it without replacing the entire fixture.

A.D

T
Tiger Offline OP
Thanks guys, you're sort of telling me what I already knew. My client is having ongoing problems with cheap photosensor lanterns. I told her a real photosensor probably costs more than the lantern, so how good could its photosensor be? I told her I could rewire them to a quality photosensor and she said no. I was just curious if anyone made a lantern with a quality photosensor.

Dave

T
I have a pair of home depot Coach lamps by my front doors, worked well for almost 5 years, but my front door face's east.
Well they did work well, until my roommate had the new Boyfriend pressure wash the house while I was at work.... He Pressured washed one of them and it no longer works, but the other one is still going strong.
If your client is having alot of problems I would go along with the remote photo-sensor on the north side of the house. or possibly a timer.

E
e57 Offline
Is this just a photosensor, or motion? Just a photo could be easily replaced.

Put a 1/2" KO in the fixture.... http://www.intermatic.com/?action=cat&cid=52

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
Sounds to me like the customer here is having a difficult time understanding that her light fixture w/ built in photo sensor is a piece of crap! I always have a hard time explaining that gracefully. Add into the mix that it was built in China and that helps explain alot.

Link Copied to Clipboard