ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#69698 09/17/06 07:41 PM
E
e57 Offline
Roger my point was that these consumer protection baords out there teach consumers out there that they should question all contractors as if there is a rampant culture of corruption. And seem to warn those same people that even if that person is licensed (even by that same board) they are still probhably cooks.

Dont get me wrong there are those who give us all a bad name. But I think it should be left at checking the license number in good standing, not getting into the general apperance of the person. (He has a cell-phone and a pick-up, I'm calling the cops...) Because I think these type of generalizations are mis-leading. You could have a big shiny add in the phone book, drive a van with a big ad on the side, (leave the cell-phone inside it) with a phone number that leads you to a nice secretary and still end up with a poorly done job or worse ripped off....

I dont think I am alone in the thinking that many states teach this contractor fear unjustifiably.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#69699 09/17/06 07:54 PM
L
LK Offline
"does Jersey conduct these CEU's? Is it state run or is it through the many "licensing schools" where you can pay for "Guarnateed to Pass"? (on-line at that - not that"

The state has to approve the courses, they are reviewed by the state board, not just any course is approved, they have tough guide lines, on content of the course, also the instructors of each course, must meet stiff requirements, and a review of their professional background, by the board, no online courses are approved, online may be great for personal goals, but not for professional certification, i notice some states allow on line, and non regulated schools, or basket weaving courses for credit, of what value is that, to advance any trade, or profession.

#69700 09/17/06 07:57 PM
R
Mark, I do agree with the jest of your last post. However, I just don't think there is a general consensus of consumer protection groups that most people or contractors are crooked.

The sad part of the world we live in is that we do have to be on our guard (and suspicious) as consumers.

Roger

#69701 09/17/06 08:00 PM
I
Perhaps it's because the state boards only see all the complaints that are made against contractors.

Look at how many ECs view GCs....there are a lot of sleazy business operators out there.

Here in MA, a small state compared to CA, out of about 35,000 licensed electricians they got about 350 complaints.

That is more than one each business day.

I am not at all surprised they get a bad attitude.

As far as the CEUs I am also for them, and this from a guy that has to take one CEU course to maintain my MA and RI lics. and another nearly identical class to maintain my CT lic.

It can only help to force some of us to open the book.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#69702 09/17/06 08:12 PM
E
e57 Offline
Roger this (i just remembered) is a great example of the image issue...

It took about two weeks after I moved into my current home until I got a "Stop Work Notice" from our local DBI - Why? Our neighbor saw my truck parked at our house at off-hours and me taking tools in and out - did a permit search on my address and didn't see one so she called the DBI to complain of un-permited work. (I asked the inspector and he let me know she was a freequent caller ) The same woman stopped by to ask me for my card and ask when the owners were moving in - when I told her I was the owner she nearly soiled herself.

Mark Heller
#69703 09/17/06 08:44 PM
Cat Servant
Looks like I ignited a firestorm! Not quite what I had intended.

I am open to reasonable suggestions.

Continuing Education, at first glance, sure LOOKS like a good thing.

Some States require it; some do not. Of those that do, the amount varies widely.

Since we have the track record, and we ought to be able to compare the two (CEU vs Non-CEU requirement).... it seems reasonable that, if the idea was truly a good one, we would be able to point to the results.

So- Where are the results? Absent the results, such a requirement is nothing but an additional burden on the law-abiding... and a gravy train for seminar factories!

Before I'd support extending this requirement, I'd like to see some proof.

#69704 09/17/06 09:07 PM
R
Mark, in your example you were legal, but I wish there were more citizens like the lady that reported you, it would actually help licensed contractors wouldn't it?

Roger

#69705 09/18/06 03:40 AM
E
e57 Offline
Roger it was not as if I were legal, I was moving into my own home... Not doing any work... This woman sees any riff-raff (contractors) in the neighborhood and she does permit searches. (which are usualy two months out of date) She's just a bitter woman who hates her nieghbors and uses the DBI as a weapon of choice. Shes one of the design nazis of the local neighborhood association who are out to thwart any construction or modification of anything in our neighborhood. The same woman trims her hedges once a year by force of neighbor intervention. Shes opposed to any contracting legal or otherwise.

Reno back on topic - I have not heard of any study that backs up any benifit of CEU's, Certification, or Licensing of workers. (Licensing of contractors is definately a beinfit)
Absent the results, such a requirement is nothing but an additional burden on the law-abiding... and a gravy train for seminar factories!
I agree! One thing that can be said is that there are people making money through testing and CEU's. Whatever effect they have is debatable. Like I said at the begining of this thread, it is a novel idea. Although 32 hours are required in my state I'm yet to do any. (Nothing solid on what is approved or not yet) But I don't think it will have any dramatic effect.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 09-18-2006).]

Mark Heller
#69706 09/18/06 02:46 PM
G
I think there is a lot of money making going on in the whole code, books and education business. I find it interesting that it costs the same to take some point and click "course" on the internet as it does to go to a real class. Sounds like price fixing to me. "Free" CEUs are getting real hard to come by. I used to be able to get plenty through my IAEI chapter but no more.

Greg Fretwell
#69707 09/18/06 06:56 PM
A
aphares Offline OP
Roger thanks great site too start with. I would like to see data to back up states making decisions if CEU work or not. If the CEU's aren’t helping then lets hear your ideal on how too lawfully eliminate the "Trunk operators".

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard