ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Hi All,
Firstly my apoligies if this is the wrong place in the forums ....
Anyone know if there is any equivalent of portable appliance tests ( PAT in the UK )in Canada, or have they not started anything yet ?
Cheers
Jerry

W
WFO Offline
Is this a program (PAT) someone is starting, or are you referring to a device that can do it? If it's the latter, maybe this is what you're talking about.
http://www.weemscreeksolutions.com/KillAWatt.htm

WFO,
Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) is a bit different to that kind of testing.
It is often performed for safety compliance in commercial and industrial environments.
Generally the PAT tester is used to test things like the grounding of a metal-bodied appliance and the insulation resistance of the internal equipment.

C
Outside of the ULC or CSA tests, and anything a repair ahop might do, appliances aren't really tested post factory, AFAIK.

Commercial or non profit second hand appliance resellers may have to ensure safe operation and condition, for liability reasons.

S
Here in B.C. there's a Special Inspection Program, the Inspector will test equipment (for a fee) and certify them. There's more info here on the 2nd page: http://www.safetyauthority.ca/files/Special_Inspection_Area_Directory.pdf

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
J
Hi
thanks all for the replies
cheers
jerry

E
Yes,

Sixer has it for BC....

Had a situation a few years back, wired an arcade and the machines were brought in before final inspection... the temporary inspector refused to complete final inspection for my work until the equipment was tested and brought up to code...

It was a huge bill for the arcade game supplier... cost me a few bucks two, cause it forced me to wait a month to get paid...

The inspector wouldn't complete inspection until the machines were passed... and the customer wouldn't pay until they had an approved final inspection...

Link Copied to Clipboard