ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67761 07/14/06 03:48 PM
J
i got this from a very old post.

electicmanscott wrote:

Only Massachusetts rules apply here. As a journeyman you can have a business with yourself and one apprentice. Thats it. Business name must be "Joe Schmoe electrician" or "licensed electrician". You can not be "Electric" or "Electrical contrcator". You are supposed to register with your city or town regardless of the name of your business and you truck must also be lettered accordingly. All of your advertisements must also have your license # displayed.

i have heard this before, but can't seem to find it in writing anywhere. does anyone know the chapter/section where i could find it in the MGL? i am starting a business with a journeyman license and this seems like a very gray area.

#67762 07/14/06 05:46 PM
I
It is not gray at all, it is a fact and the State Board will fine you if you get caught in violation.

If you want to run a business called "We Check Your Shorts Electric" you can....if you have your license info updated with that name.

Go to this link.

It is right from the board and it has eight items, seven of which you better know if you going to run a business in MA.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#67763 07/14/06 06:06 PM
J
i have been there several times. it says you can only use the name printed on your license. does this mean in order for companies to use other electrical names they have to have that name on their license? does that only apply to master licenses? if i was to put "electrician" or "licensed electrician" on my business name, wouldn't that be wrong too because it's not on my license? thank you for your info.

#67764 07/14/06 06:07 PM
I

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#67765 07/14/06 06:11 PM
J
thank you. very interesting reading. i'm just trying to start off on the right foot. don't want to get into trouble. it's not worth it.

#67766 07/14/06 06:16 PM
I
As far as I understand it if I started a business today it would have to be

"Robert K. Badger"
Electrician

Without changing the info on my license it can not be "Robert K Badger Electrical Service"

Follow this link and you will see my boss's license info, as you can see it also list the company he holds the license for.

Don't forget everything you put your name on has to include you license class (A, B or C) and your number.

It's all about consumer protection, the board wants to be able to find you when (or if) someone complains.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#67767 07/14/06 06:20 PM
D
BOB, how does a corporation get a license then?
(2) A licensee shall only engage in the electrical trade or otherwise conduct business in the name printed on his or her license.

So if you have a masters license, your business license would be in the corporate name?

#67768 07/15/06 12:11 AM
J
are journeyman allowed to change there info like that or just master?

i understand how it works now. i was looking for something that says i can't use the word "electric" while the whole time it was telling me the only thing i could use, my name.

#67769 07/15/06 02:06 AM
B
Whew! glad I dont live in MA

#67770 07/16/06 04:34 PM
C
DNK, a masters license in MA is only a business license. The first line is the name of the business. The next line is the name of the license holder.

Now for the fun part. A masters license allows you to run a business but not actually work in the field. You can have 100 guys work for you but you can not use the tools. You must continue to keep your journeyman license if you want to use the tools. Just another way my fine state keeps the money out of my pocket.

Al

Link Copied to Clipboard