ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
togol Offline OP
You all know how much Doofy enjoys working on lighting, it is what he does best, and it turns out, that he is an exceptional troubleshooter......

except when the trouble is inserted by him !

The folks on the shipping dock asked that their existing fixtures be repaired or replaced, so the loaders could see what they were doing...(some of the castings weigh > 18,000lbs ).!

Well, Doofy to the Rescue...
armed with six brand new 1000w MH high bays he went about his magic.

You may recall that the HB fixtures were single voltage, so he was able to avoid the earlier pesky arithmetic problem..!

So, he diligently repaired ALL the existing fixtures by replacing not only the lamps, but the guts as well ...how did he manage to do this, without killing himself ?

He simply threw away all that were not
lighted...and when I say threw away, I mean throw on the floor, or the dock & ramp so apparently someone else could pick them up , haul them away and thereby have something to do......but I digress.!

In the end, Doofy had tossed five fixtures and ADDED those six big -un's he had packed for the trip.

But something had slipped past the steel trap that is his mind, and it was the new additional load on the lone circuit feeding the dock and an adjacent bay....

Before Doofy had a chance to check his own work...

....he drove off,.....

leaving a pile of broken glass, and shattered fixtures in his wake. it was after all Quittin Time, but within the hour, the breaker tripped, and would continue to trip for TWO WEEKS......isn't that just too dam funny??

Doofy eventually remembered where the dock was, and once again prepared to dazzle the folks over there with his uncanny ability to litter the place with trash.................

....to be continued

:edited for typing errors and one word

[This message has been edited by togol (edited 07-10-2006).]

Tom
Cat Servant
Togol, I have a retraction to make. In some of my earlier comments, I suggested that Doofy find other employment. I was in error...

Please. please keep Doofy around. This guy is a classic; he is a source of endless entertainment. You know, if you keep a log of his activities, you just might develop a pretty good curriculum for training new apprentices!

On a more devious note.... why don't you introduce him to ECN? I am sure we would all love to meet him, even have his pic in the gallery. (I am sure each of us already has a pic in our minds... I'd just like to see how far off I am!).

togol Offline OP
it is pathetic ain't it reno,

....I will try to get a photo of him but because of his keen instincts he always seems to be moving.... away.

the guy must be traveling through alternating dimensions,.....like an evil gift from a distant galaxy.

maybe he is CIA, on some black op, and has decided to sharpen his evil skills by singlehandedly destroying some random business, and is somehow using the touchscreens at this place to communicate with his superiors...I have seen him staring at a couple......

perhaps a log should be kept..but who would believe any of it....?

Tom
C
perhaps a log should be kept..but who would believe any of it....?

Who cares if anyone believes it?
It's some funny stuff.
Thanks!

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
togol Offline OP
........to be continued,

Doofy began assembling his diagnostic tools and special items prior to beginning the arduous task of troubleshooting this problem,
bear in mind that this list is not comprehensive as it is based on my own observaions and failing memory...there must have been some things I missed.

A: one Fluke T5
B: two new MH lamps, a 250w and a 400w

.....plus a boomlift and Doofys personal forktruck .

troubleshooting began at approx. 4p.m. CST and lasted until about 11:30 p.m. of the same day.

..let's pause here for a moment to explain that this was my first ..(ooops, edit:....actually my second) and last encounter with this guy,
I do not want to help him,
I do not chooose to help him ,
the deciding factors ...
.. his turn was ending,
....I was coming on,
and he had managed to plunge the entire shipping area into darkness, except for the comforting glow of the headlights on his personal forktruck.

Ok, back to the show,
after the obligatory "safety " chat, and job assignments
I get to the scene of the crime, after gingerly walking through the darkened area, only to discover Doofy has pulled the cover of an I-Line panel, yanked the breaker, and is nowhere near it !!!!

This foundry is old, so old in fact they are still operating under the 1896 ? NEC you know , the Code that states "no more than three or more wires under one or more lugs "..that Code !

Well, Doofy has really done it now,

there are eight conductors hangin out of the panel,
eight wires that were on the now missing breaker in some "special way ".!

He insisted he "thought he marked them" ?????????????

He was so determined in fact to prove he marked them, he boomed up to the ceiling before I showed up, and unwired everything in the first j-box, to show that, yes, he had taped three wires together at the panel...the fact that he had managed to tape two #10s and a #12 together was , ummm, not important.

it took about an hour, ....I let him ride up and down in the boom alone, while he put everything back together in that j-box...
and after a few checks, I let him turn the breaker on..
..( he's a trusting soul ain't he )

BTW the old breaker ,......which is most likely worn out....., got tossed onto the floor, where else?? but my curiosity got the best of me about the size of the new one.he went from 25 to 50

Hey Doofy , what's up with the breaker ?
"????????????"

How did you pick the size?
it's the biggest one back there,except for a150

Ok, g'night moron

'night, oh .....and thanks

[This message has been edited by togol (edited 07-10-2006).]

Tom
togol Offline OP
Celtic,
it's true ....you can't make this stuff up,

I can see this guy starting his own bidness someday

Tom
M
i've heard of that theory. it's the "multiple wire any size breaker theory"

if you put more than 4 wires on any one breaker, you can choose any size you want. because the amperage gets split up between all the wires, so it's ok [Linked Image]

togol Offline OP
yeah yeah, that's it,
the infinite lug / wire / breaker lottery. !

Tom
N
I do not know if I should laugh or start bawling its has been entertaining. Is he going to injure or be the cause of someone losing their life before someone realizes they have a major problem?

Cat Servant
Togol... you do realise that ECN sells books? You just might have a best-seller starting....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard