ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#67488 07/06/06 08:12 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
The VDV areams slow so,I'll start here.
Feel free to relocate me [Linked Image]

A single RG6 feed about 30' long into an attic. A 4-way Digital 2 gigahertz splitter. 4 taps off the splitter. One Digital box & TV won't work through the splitter, but does work with a direct inline coupling.
Would an ampilfier help?

I do this hook-up in new homes regularly with no problem, but I don't think I've ever encountered Digital CATV before.

Thanks!

#67489 07/06/06 09:56 PM
G
This may be a 2 way connection that the balun in the splitter is not passing upstream.

Greg Fretwell
#67490 07/06/06 10:16 PM
E
If it requires info as well as sends info, it many require a bi-directional splitter. The only ones that I have ever seen are amplified.

I know that this info is only worth about 2 cents. But hoping it might give you some direction.

Glen

#67491 07/06/06 11:08 PM
E
e57 Offline
The VDV area does seem slow, but often is frequented by people who are the most knowedgable about this type of thing. I can't say for sure, but have noticed some often dont pop up in other areas of the forums here, so it seems. But do keep a watchfull eye out there.

Anyway, the amount and quality of the signal will diminish in Db by length of run, and amount of connections with a Db loss for each. Some of the other members could elaborate on the loss for each, and often is printed right on the splitter. A DC-passing connection may be required. What is this feed coming from?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#67492 07/07/06 02:21 PM
W
You can also get excellent CATV information over at the dslreports forum: www.dslreports.com

#67493 07/07/06 06:00 PM
L
LK Offline
"A DC-passing connection may be required."

Yes length of cable is critical, with digital switches.

If the receiver is digital, are you sure you don't need a digital switch, rather then a splitter?

Is this a cable feed. or feed from a dish?

#67494 07/07/06 10:18 PM
H
Lots of misinformation here. Digital cable is actually much more forgiving than analog. Analog will gradually degrade to noise and snow as the signal level drops. A digital signal can go much lower and the picture quality will be unaffected- until it reaches a certain point and then you get nothing.

So all of you guys who think you have to do special things for "digital" it just ain't true. Even those 2 Ghz "digital" gold plated splitters are only designed to make your wallet lighter. They are brought to you by the same folks who sell gold plated receptacles that will make your stereo sound better. Not going to happen any more than a "digital" splitter is going to make your picture better. The $2 1 Ghz ones have the same thru loss and will work just the same considering no cable system goes above 750 Mhz.

That said, doing stuff like this by the seat of your pants is not the way to go and invites problems. There is a lot more to it than running some cable and throwing splitters in somewhere to connect everything together. If you don't know how to determine and calculate signal levels and don't have the equipment to do it, well, you shouldn't be doing it.

The first place to look here would be the splitter. Bad port? Yup it happens. Try switching the home runs around and make sure the feed is on the "in". Of course the possibility exists that you may have reached that "digital point of no return" where, because of bad design and endless splitters the level to that set is below what will work.

An amplifier is not the answer until the mess is cleaned up first and then through calculation and measurement it's determined that a certain amount of gain is necessary.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited 07-08-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard