ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Rewired Offline OP
I was just wondering, for those that do maintenance and repair work, what do YOU consider an " emergency" call, ( as in drop what you are doing and get there or do it ASAP) versus a " Regular" call...
Many MANY times we get calls for burned out parking lot lights or for the circuit feeding a TV somewhere going dead deemed an " emergency" where I would consider them to be a regular everyday type of service call...
I would consider any call that involved a major outage, downed service, smoke, sparks , fire.. an "emergency".. NOT burned out lights or a dead circuit feeding a TV or air conditioner or the like..
Also, for those that are "on call", does your employer pay you just to BE "on call" or is it expected of you, and if you get called out at 3;00 a.m, is it considered regular time, time and a half or double time...

A.D

L
LK Offline
The guy down the street, is a maint manager at a local plant, he was telling me when they call in a contractor for emergency work, day time hours, they charge from $300 to 400 just to come there, hope this helps.

H
This is something the customer needs to decide. You need to make them aware of your normal hourly rates, your after hours rates and your emergency rates. We define an emergency call as when we are requested to respond immediately or even within a 48 hour time period. We may or may not normally be able to respond within the 48 hour period but that is at our descretion according to what we are doing at the time. If the customer WANTS us there then they will have to pay and if they think a bulb replacement is worth the cost that's OK with me.

-Hal

Rewired:
Well.....there's a lot of variables.
We HAD a service contract with a national chain (local stores (60 miles). They had requirements (response time). 'Emergency' required under 2 hr arrival; yes there was a "Rate". Retail is a 7 day operation, and the definition of 'emerg' varied by store and DM.

As to lot lighting, we have service contracts for strip malls & shop ctrs; a few bulbs is a scheduled reg call; a quantity of poles out is an emerg. NJ is crawling with lawyers, and I don't want to be a 3rd party to a law suit if someone has a problem related to lighting.

Nites/Sat/Sun is premium times

John

John
G
Doctors sum up what an emergency is.
"If you can't reach us call 911"

Of course if you are just selling "premium off shift service" make sure you get a premium price. I worked for a 24/7 operation for 30 years and they really did guarantee one hour "call customer" and 2 hour "on site" response time, even at 0200 on Christmas.

It wasn't cheap though. In the 80s/early 90s it was $325 an hour, 4 hour minimum.

Greg Fretwell
From the standard service contracts (and Terms and Conditions handout) I issue to my clients:

An URGENT ACTION call is defined as any equipment malfunction/failure which results in a degraded or substandard picture or sound presentation, but with minimal or no risk of damage to film or equipment;

An EMERGENCY call is defined as any equipment malfunction/failure where operation is not possible, with or without risk of damage to film or equipment.

Of course, to most cinema managers/ownwers, if the Surround speakers aren't working it's a major crisis!! [Linked Image] (As a footnote, in real terms the surround channel is second only to the subwoofer as the least critical channel in professional cinema sound. The Center channel is the most important, as it carries the majority of the dialogue.)

My rates are based on the hour work commences more so than type of call. For example, calls from 0800-2300 (8am-11pm) are standard rate, calls from 2300-0100 (11pm-1am) are double time and anything extending past 0100 thru 0800 are triple time. Base rate is $65.00/hr.

edited to add: I charge a four-hour minimum in any event.

Any call commencing at the earlier time but extending more than 1/2 hour into the next rate will be charged for applicable time within that rate scale.

The extended span for regular time reflects the usual hours for cinema work.

The hardest part though, is getting them to pay the bill!!

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 07-05-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.
J
The company I work for bills like this:
Normal Call 08:00-16:30 92/man-hour + 75 travel with a 1 hour min (Or something like that)

Emergency 16:30-08:00 175/man hour portal to portal for the tech plus a 150 travel charge.

I go on the clock when the pager goes off and go off when I take my shoes off. We offer customers 24/7 response via a pager that rotates thru the field techs, everybody gets it for a week at a time. The company gives the tech $70/week to carry the pager. The down side is if there is a call pending all day that nobody was able to get to, the on call guy gets stuck with it. Which really sucks when I am working 20 minutes from home but I have to drive past the house to continue into NYC, about an hour (no traffic) away.

M
jcooper,

no offense, but there is something wrong when a low voltage/card access contractor (for which no license is needed) charges more than an electrical contractor (which is licensed)

please don't take offense, i do not mean for you guys to charge less. Just for EC's to charge more.

J
No offense taken mahlere, I think it is silly what my company charges, probably because we are so top heavy, three project managers, six salesmen, and about 8 other office people, for 9 guys in the field... If it makes you feel better I only get about half of what the prevailing journeyman rate is, and I pay for half my benefits, and no retirement plan with the company.

M
don't feel silly. i would like to see your wages go up and your companies rate go up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard