ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
e57 Offline OP
How many people here make it a policy to test every light, and every outlet in rough instals? (To include every ressesed can?)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Cat Servant
I test as soon as I can! I'd much rather find a goof while it's easy to fix.

A variation of this is for me to install keyless fixtures early in the game, and get power to the lighting circuits. This gives the rockers, painters, etc., some light to work by (as well as prooving my circuit).

S
How about never.

Generally, as a rule, I run at least 1 branch circuit consisting of a few receptacles, and a few lights, and run it through "common areas" of a dwelling so people can see and work during the construction period. I also energize the laundry receptacle and a GFCI recpetacle beside the panel. That's it.

S
Never here either. But I do double and triple check the wiring runs to make sure none have been forgotten. As far as crossed wires in a box goes, those are simple to troubleshoot and can be fixed at the finished stage. Also, I use a digital camcorder to videotape all the rough wiring in a new home just in case...

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
E
e57 Offline OP
For those who do.... Like Reno...
And would this be by applying a breaker and wiigy at each outlet, and a lamp in each can?

SO I guess I should add my own vote for NO.....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Cat Servant
Mark, I'm a bit paranoid. I simply have little faith in my abilities to keep things straight- especially if my work is interrupted by other jobs, etc, and not done in a single sitting.

Before I hook up a new circuit, I usually check everthing with my meter. I've discovered a few goofs that way. Doing this also lets me verify my circuit ID.

Apart from wiring goofs I might make, there are always those boxes that the rockers have buried, and you've forgotten about.

So- I install devices, test, power up, then go around checking. I do this one circuit at a time, and put a piece of masking tape with the circuit number on the cover plate. (Observant readers will recall seeing some of this marking in pics I've posted). If there's a problem, that point gets a red piece of tape. This way, I can back off and see patterns (if there are any). It also lets me keep track of what's been fixed.

A bit anal? Perhaps. But, you know, it can be prety hard to keep track of what all those switches serve- and I really like being able to say when I leave thet "my stuff works." Call-backs are a losing proposition.

S
"Apart from wiring goofs I might make, there are always those boxes that the rockers have buried, and you've forgotten about."

Good reason to take lots of pictures or use a camcorder, especially when you don't get back to the job for months and have a short memory span like I do. [Linked Image]

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Rarely do we test everything - usually fire up a panel outlet and a bathroom GFI (keep some old ones on the truck and reuse them) so the other trades have power - sometimes pigtail sockets... Once in a while an outside GFI for siding and roofing guys.

Biggest paranoia is missing a feed - always strip a short bit of insulation on all feeds and check to make sure they are all there. Painters made me give up marking feeds with romex sleeves.

Digital camera sometimes - lable home runs with romex sleeves.

Tom Offline
Since I'm a one man shop, I rarely get to work a job start to finish, I'm always getting called away for service calls, etc. SInce my memory isn't what it once was (I think), testing is my SOP when using cable wiring methods.

When I do my make-ups, I connect a battery & buzzer at the panel. As I make up the boxes, in order from start to finish of a circuit, I short the hot to the neutral & listen for the buzz. This has the added benefit of annoying all the other trades for a day or two.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
T
I never test at rough & have no problems at final. The catch is almost all of my work is in emt, so if there was a problem I can pull the wire.

BTW, I test EVERYTHING at final...lights, voltage, load, GFCI test & polarity.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard