ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#66843 06/22/06 12:42 AM
S
This may be a bit off topic, but it stays with the spirit of the topic.

I am still attending an electrician’s course at a local (70 miles) technical school to enhance my OJT and work experience with "book learning". The courses have been good to great, but we have the proverbial 10% of students that wouldn’t know their butts from a hole in the ground.

Most of these guys drop out, but a few have stayed on and are actually getting “passed” on (just like the California public schools). They are getting Ds and Cs, but the instructors are passing them just to avoid the BS that comes with tossing these idiots out.

The school is over all a good one, but I can’t help but think whether I want to be associated with it, especially if an outfit had the misfortune to hire one of these idiots that got “passed on” and I want to work for them as well.

Yes, I have made my thoughts known and have been given a load of BS in response.

Steve

Thanks
Steve
#66844 06/22/06 08:27 AM
togol Offline OP
Steve,

I think your experiences are reflecting what is beginning to occur in the trades,

the JATC is quietly lowering their standards in order to satisfy the contractors need of replacements for the retiring "boomers" ........

and there are not enough young folks who want to work any harder than they have to.........and Doofy certainly exhibits those qualities, even though he is in his 40's

plus, supervision is encouraging his behavior by putting blinders on when he starts doing something and screws it up....they say..."oh well, he's learning."

Tom
#66845 06/23/06 01:23 AM
S
Togol

“Steve,
I think your experiences are reflecting what is beginning to occur in the trades,
the JATC is quietly lowering their standards in order to satisfy the contractors need of replacements for the retiring "boomers" ........”

I also see it as a failure of the public school systems, as (from what I have seen and IMHO) those that don’t get it also don’t have even a “basic” (I do mean basic” understanding of math and set procedures.

I have had some of these kids (if you’re under 30 you’re a kid…grin) ask me what fractions are, could not understand that 2/8th is the same as ¼, could literally not read a tape, and could not understand why a particular formula could only be used in certain conditions, etc., etc. I was almost at a loss for words.

I have also noticed (again, IMHO) that there was a lot of “you owe me” attitude with some of the kids.

Steve

Thanks
Steve
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard