ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 267 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
I posted a while ago about the new P&S receptacles and how would they work when they just plug in. You know the new ones where you put the cord in on the rough and then just plug in the recp. on the finish. Well, I was in the supply house on Sat. and I saw an old friend of mine who works for P&S. He showed me the new type of recpt. and how it works. The pigtail in the back is very strong, it takes a lot of effort to pull it out. It also locks in place so that it doesn't accidently fall out. The device looks like it is very well made. I don't know what the cost is or what the cost difference would be. I can see how it would make the job of trimming out real easy It also might pay for a large installation.
I am only writing this post because I had my doubts about this device awhile ago and if I didn't run into Bret, I wouldn't know how good this product really is.

W
Harold how well do you think it will work with one coat of primer and two finish coats applied?

C
I think it will hold up fine to as much paint and/or mud can be jammed into the box:
[Linked Image from passandseymour.com]

Each tail comes with a bag on it [Linked Image]
http://www.passandseymour.com/plugtail

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
W
I was told the price is around $10.

I want to try these on a tenant build out or other small job and see how they work. I am very curious. Seems they might be worth it due to the k.i.s.s. principle, or maybe not worth it for the same reason.

[This message has been edited by VAElec (edited 05-31-2006).]

Pete
J
i just bought about 400 of these for a commercial space were doing.they seem like a quality product. i just hope the connector doesn't get chewed up by the rotozip. i also think that a deeper box is helpful because of the conn., a shallow would work but might be a little tight. i'll let you know how it turns out.

D
If you pigtail/sidewire at any point, what's the advantage? R&R's would be easier if you anticipate enough of them...

Got sent a free sample of one of these a while back, and it seemes a good quality product, a bit pricey though. Good firm retention of the pigtail connector, and the plug retention of the unit itself seemed very strong as well.

The one thing I did notice was, where the brass(?) conductors in the receptacle are formed up to make the contacts for the pigtail plug, there is a significant reduction in the size of the metal (a "cut" or "notch" to allow for the bend.) That area of metal looks too small to my eye to carry a load of say 15-20 amps continuously.

One of these days I plan to rig it up and load it down to see if any noticable heating at that point occurs.

Stupid should be painful.
C
One major P&S distributor in my area sells them comlete for under $5, and the recept is a good quality 5362 or something similiar.

Peter

Peter
H
Does anyone want a name of a P & S sales rep? I would contact him first to make sure that it is OK to give out his e-mail address. As I posted, I was not too sure of these receptacles when they first came out, however after seeing them, I think that they are tough enough to stand up to almost any job. As for the cost??? That is up to your supplier.

Link Copied to Clipboard