ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#65991 05/17/06 05:08 PM
N
NJ Pat Offline OP
Gentlemen I have been reading everyone's comments for a few years now but finally broke down to post a question to seek your input on a job.

My local inspector has required me to tie a new service ground into the rebar of the footings of the addition I am doing. My questions is with a 200A 120/240V service do I still need the ground rods or does the connection to the footings offset the need. I was intending on still adding the rods but then I questioned myself if I would be creating a bigger problem by doing so. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Pat

N
NJ Pat Offline OP
I just realized I typed "gentlemen" I don't want to offend the ladies out there, so I apologize.

V
The bonding of the rebar (also known as a Ufer ground) has become required in my area as an additional bond for a service. Ground bars, cold water, building steel (if present), rebar (if present), etc.

"http://www.psihq.com/iread/ufergrnd.htm" for more info on Ufer grounds. This was the first site I hit following a quick search. I think it's interesting.

Pete
NJ PAT:

Welcome to ECN, from one Jersey Guy to another. You're really close to home!!

OK, with a ufer ground, you DO NOT need rods.
In plain english, IF you have access to footing rebar, you have to install a ufer (#4 Cu)

Water pipes still require bonding, water heater & water meter jumpers, and building steel, if avail.

John

PS: Any more "Jersey Guys" lurking in the backround????

John
R
NJ Pat, let me join John in welcoming you to the forum.

Now that you have broken the ice I hope you continue to participate [Linked Image]

Roger

N
nov Offline
Have not posted in a while just had a new baby 8 weeks old
I am in central NJ

N
Northern NJ here (Bergen Cty.)

G
This is the Florida style Ufer

http://members.aol.com/gfretwell/ufer.jpg

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 05-17-2006).]

Greg Fretwell
R
Congrats Nov. [Linked Image] Now your work load really gets heavy. [Linked Image] Just kidding [Linked Image]

Roger

S
I've already had a few issues with inspectors over the Ufer thing. I just finished rough wiring a house in Short Hills, NJ and for whatever reason the Ufer ground somehow got lost, or buried, or like I said, whatever reason. The inspector ok'd the service but made me install (2) ground rods. Seems that the excavator assumes this responsiblility and it's the electricians job to find the Ufer when installing the service. Personally, I feel the more grounds, the better the install, the better the product we are selling to our customers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard