ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 378 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Has anyone seen or installed 15 amp circuits in commercial buildings? I have never seen one, only 20 amp and up.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
E
e57 Offline
Not a common pratice to say the least....
Off the top of the head, can't see why not either.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
B
The answer I picked up somewhere was that commercial systems generally have a higher AFC than residential. During a fault, less chance the #12AWG would fail than the #14.

However, seems to me properly sized and coordinated OCPDs would do their job and protect #14 just as well as #12. Not sure 5 amps makes all that much difference, anyway.

[Linked Image]

-John

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited 05-16-2006).]

G
I suspect it has more to do with the fact that you have the 180va per outlet restriction in commercial (and perhaps that there is not usually much #14 on a commercial wire cart). It would make sense if this was a dedicated circuit for some low current equipment though. From a safety standpoint, oversizing a circuit (and OCP device) is not always a good idea.

Greg Fretwell
G
Yes! I have put 15 amp ckts. in commercial! I wired a pool house for an apartment complex, and used #14 for several of my lighting ckts. Code does allow this.

D
Our local addendums specifically prohibit it.

I
GEC-1 what you describe is not IMO commercial.

That said the NEC certainly does not prohibit it.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
A
aldav53 Offline OP
The reason I ask is someone added some walls and wired some church offices in
14-2 romex. Probably be ok, not much load there. The walls are wood construction too. I could change the breaker to a 15 amp.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
I
I work at a very large industrial manufacturer and we have many 15A circuits. While many locales prohibit it. I think often times, it is just a matter of how the wiring is spec'd rather than an NEC issue.

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 05-17-2006).]

R
Aldav53, I need some clarification, in your first post you ask,
Has anyone seen or installed 15 amp circuits in commercial buildings?
and then in your second post you say,
The reason I ask is someone added some walls and wired some church offices in 14-2 romex. Probably be ok, not much load there. The walls are wood construction too. I could change the breaker to a 15 amp.

What you appear to have is # 14 over fused and in violation of 240.4(D), you must change the breaker(s)

With that said, there is no problem as far as the NEC is concerned with having 15 amp circuits in commercial installations if the wiring meets or exceeds the OCPD.

Even in areas where #12 is the minimum size conductor for branch circuits or feeders it would not prohibit protecting the conductors at 15 amps or lower, and infact, certain equipment may have a Max circuit protection below 15.

Roger

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard