ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Thanks, Don: I stand corrected.

My experience of hoods and the like is that if the flames are vented straight up, it will close an in-tumescent barrier, by virtue of a temperature rated fusible wire link.
These are also used at corners of ducting.

R
rad74ss Offline OP
There was a mistake in the write up and the controls are by a third party.

They said that their building code requires venting smoke with the exhaust fans with fusible links in the return air fire dampers so that if it gets too hot it shuts the damper and a differential pressure switch cuts out the exhaust fans after that.

F
Fire suppression systems used in commercial kitchen hoods are UL listed to operate w/the exhaust fans on or off. Leaving the exhaust fan on helps to distribute the suppression chemical throught the hood and duct. This also helps to move the combustion gases out of the fire area, improving visiblity for the responding fire department. The intake or make-up air is to shut down.

There is an IBC requirement to shut down air handling ducts moving 2000 CFM or more. This requirement may be modified by the type of occupancy, building construction and the whim of the building inspector.

Fireguy

L
Fireguy is correctm as far as the way we do it here. Every fire-suppression system we've wired in has the same parameters:

The exhaust must run, regardless of the switch's position, and the intake must not run, regardless of the switch position.

I figured out a way to do it using ony one of the two microswitches ours come with, requiring only three conductors between boxes.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
F
Larry, could I trouble you for a diagram of your wiring? Most electricians have trouble leaving the exhaust on and shutting down the intake. I am often asked how to wire the contactors and I know just enough about wiring to hurt myself. Hey, are those wires supposed to spark like that?
Thank you in advance.
fireman@eoni.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard