ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#65676 05/12/06 01:30 AM
S
e57 -

Thanks for the picture. I have seen those before and didn't pay attention to what they were called.

Steve

Thanks
Steve
#65677 05/12/06 02:30 PM
R
Oh ya, the drywallers... I think we counted 43 buried boxes on one half of one wing of one floor in the retirement home we wired... thats not including buried BX " tails" for certan lights as well as damaged conductors inside the boxes... Actually it was comical to see how they tried to " hide" the damage, especially to all my fire-alarm wiring...... Lots of O/T for me straightening out that headache!!

A.D

#65678 05/12/06 07:14 PM
C
I did one reno on a kitchen just before Christmas and the rockers covered all the outlet boxes. I still make a drawing with measurements of all the installations and that saved the day for me that time. Once Christmas was over I made up new contract blanks that, in addition to the usual other stuff, contain the words (in bold letters):

"Any extra time to repair, replace or otherwise rework any damaged, covered or altered electrical work done by any person or entity other than this contractor after the preliminary rough-in has been completed will be added as an extra charge to this contract at a rate of $1000.00 per hour or part thereof or $10,000.00 per day or part thereof, whichever is higher."

(I leave the interpretation of what a part of a day is, up to the person signing the contract, but what it really means is that if it's going to take more than half a day to correct anything the $1000.00 hourly rate is out the window.)( My solicitors advice.)

I put in a similar provision dealing with the completion of the trim out to complete the work. (Receptacles, switches, light fixtures, DW's, GD's, etc.)

It's become part of the stuff I explain to each and every person before they sign the contract, with particular emphasis on their responsibility to carefully oversee the other contractors during their work. I had one GC complain that he couldn't be everywhere and watch everthing so I explained that I wouldn't supervise other trades either. He walked away but signed the contract later that day after having had time to think about things for a bit. I haven't had a problem with any other contractors work since. I've not had a single problem or negative comment with any HO about their responsibilities at all when they are doing the job as themselves being the GC.

By the way, I still make drawings and now take lots of photos too.

#65679 05/12/06 07:53 PM
E
e57 Offline
Ya know I really do feel lucky to have been working with good rock and tape crews for the last several years. (for the most part.) Personally I feel that there is some subtel skill to that trade. (Esspecially with custom finishes, as most of the jobs I am on are. Hacks would just not get that work...) I get treated well by them, they use guide point bits, instead of busted or non-guide points. I GET my boxes BLOWN OUT and free of dust. I don't get joints at my switches or outlets. Mud is clear of my openings, and they even stuff paper in the boxes to protect against paint. But here's the kicker, it's thier job! And it's on all of the upper end GC's contracts to do so. (As a boiler plate spec.) Likewise, if I knick an egg-shell finish, thats 3 back charges. Rock, Paint, and GC for coordination... But if I.m missing a box and find it, thats 3 back charges to the rocker... So they often count the openings before they start, and match it to thier bid, count again at rock and mud.

Then, there are the hacks.... Low ball rockers with little to no skill in the way of finish, and the low balling GC's who hire them. I occassionaly work for that type too. I treat them the same way, but I ussually don't get in return.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#65680 05/14/06 03:02 AM
C
I bumped this up for any comments that you might see right or wrong with my method of handling this.

Any other thoughts?

I sincerely apologize to anyone that see's this as a negative thread from an EC, pilot, and an apprentice from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

#65681 05/14/06 05:13 AM
T
Different methods, same grief all over the world... if you remember the thread over at the picture forum, European drywall boxes are round and cut in using a hole saw drill bit. Sometimes we cut them in, sometimes the drywallers do. If they do, beware! They'll most likely miss a few.
Never had nicked wires fortunately, but after all I hardly do any drywall jobs.
Tiled-over boxes are even more fun!

#65682 05/14/06 11:52 AM
I remember a time when the drywallers measured and cut their holes before hanging the rock. Back then the only problems we had were the tape and float guys (mud dobbers) filling our boxes with mud. As long as there are people who don't care about the other crafts, there's going to be problems.
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#65683 05/14/06 01:59 PM
E
e57 Offline
Check Pilot, I don't see anything wrong... The price is high, but if you feel that is what your time is worth, so be it.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#65684 05/14/06 06:26 PM
B
BigJohn Offline OP
I appreciate all the responses.

It seems like standard-operating-procedure is to beat the heck out of the sheetrock to get slack, and/or backcharge the rocker. Unfortinately, neither of those is an option for me: I don't control pricing, and I'm sure damaging sheetrock will upset the higher-ups.

I take it that WAGO's or wire-nuts are about my only options then, eh?

-John

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard