ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Path of least resitance works well for electricity, but in the end, it really only gets it back to where it started. I can understand desperate times and desperate measures, but if you can find an ounce of hope and the will to push on, consider hanging in and looking for another shop. I'm sure you have already, but really it's a numbers game. It's a matter of how long you can afford to wait until your number comes up and you are put together with the right people. If you choose to stay in the game, try getting your face in front of potential employers in supply houses, trade functions, etc. Network and ask around who the best shops to work for. And truely the best advise I can give from personal experience is pray.

G
Geeez Louise,
Ya wanna move to DC? Union, Non-Union makes NO difference how many hours ya wanna work? Most contractors here simply inform everyone that OT WILL be expected just trying to stay even. Everything I have worked on for years has been Davis-Bacon jobs so pay is pay. Local 26 just got $6.00 per hour over 3 years.

Good luck, but don't give up.

F
Make sure that your hours in the trade are documented first. Do not leave until you have your paperwork, or you may never get credit for the time you worked in the trade.
Keep your irons in the fire, machining sucks, I did it for 15 years and the whole shipyard shut down. Machine shops are dependent on the economy and cheaper foreign products, electricity is forever. Electrical contractors make more money than machinists. Be your own boss!

S
Festus,
All my hours are documented. He filled out the form today. Guess I was 225 hours off. Grand total documented hours was 4,225. Last code class is May 30th. At that point 300 hours of code class is completed. This is really bugging me. My girl and code class instructor are saying stay. Both say im past the halfway point. Its just that 20 hours a week does not cut it plus I pay my own health insurance. Darnet, even the inspectors like me.Will keep you all posted and thanks lone gunman for the offer. Soimething is just telling me im a fool if I stop now.

G
The only problem with working in Florida is they pay you in sunshine...
... But there is plenty of work.

Greg Fretwell
L
Hang in there.
Try going in person and talking to the various Electrical Companies. It's a whole different ballgame in person. On paper (resume) your just another apprentice looking to move on. In person you are a real live apprentice that can sell himself. There is something to be said about your age - Maturity !
If you can swing it - try and hang in there !

T
This is the hiring season.

Out my way May 1st is the beginning of a new fiscal year for electrical contractors.

Craigs List?

Side jobs outside the trade?

Tesla
E
e57 Offline
"Head on out to CALI forn EEEay!!!"

****Don't know where you are?****

Urban centers of California, (SF, SJ, LA, SD) always have work. I would venture to say any urban area of any state, or any area of robust economy does as well.

Construction jobs are only around if there is contruction, TI's in areas already built also just economic driven, "Service Work" is ALL the TIME! In a company diversified for all, in a large city, you are never out of work - ever. Pay is for the most part better in large cities as well. In the 'burb's, or worse in the boonies, you are too dependant on local economy.

So maybe it's time for a little commute?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
T
Steve, I don't know if you have looked around, but in Mass. there are some very good companies to work for there. The one I used to work for was Griffin Electric. They are non union, but had a good apprenticeship program. Always had plenty of work when I was there. Good luck, Gary

C
Steve, I work for a large EC in MA and are currently hiring. Send me an e-mail if you are interested and I'll hook you up with the contact info. You will have no problem getting 40 hours and more a week. Also there is an excellent apprentice program run by the shop.

You have put in to much time to quit now.

Al

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard