ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6544 01/05/02 02:10 PM
E
Elzappr Offline OP
Design-build has been a great way to speed up a construction project, and also quite an initial cost saving to the owner because of the "value engineering". My concern is about the long term cost. For example: Regular engineered jobs for commercial buildings frequently design a 20A illumination circuit with just 8A initial installed load. The jobs where the electrical contractor draftsmen/electrician/estimator design the illumination circuits commonly run about 14A initial installed load. As a result, the initial cost is driven down because you don't have as many circuits to deal with..but think of the expensive headaches down the line when remodeling is done and there isn't sufficient capacity or flexibility! I'm of the opinion that design-build by non-engineering staff among electrical contractors is moreoften short-sighted and not in the best interest of the building owners.
My question is primarily directed towards the engineers out there: What criteria do you use in your designs that you don't see applied by the electrical contractors? I'm thinking that there must be some laundry list of complaints against the quick-fix mentality and the long-term utility concerns of the professional engineer.

[This message has been edited by Elzappr (edited 01-05-2002).]

#6545 01/05/02 04:39 PM
S
Elzappr;
Most tradesmen being exposed to engineered documents will find your Q self explanatary.

Link Copied to Clipboard